Trouble installing Classic Shell 4.2.5

cliffordcooley

I decided to finally update Classic Shell from version 4.2.4 to 4.2.5.
  • At first the installer was telling me that 4.2.5 couldn't find the installer package for 4.2.4. WTH!
  • OK - So I fall back and try a repair install of 4.24 first. Which results in an unexpected error and the installer aborts.
  • Then I consider running the installer As Administrator. What do you know, both installers complete without issue when Run As Administrator. I ran version 4.2.4 first. So I can't say if 4.2.5 would have run successfully without running 4.2.4 first.
The need to "Run As Administrator" pisses me off, when I am the only user of my machine and have administrator privileges. Running as administrator should be the default in a system run with administrator privileges. Having the option to run as administrator only creates confusion. The average person would have been scratching their head and left to think their machine is broken. In which case many might decide to ignore the error and continue using outdated software. I have to be honest the thought even crossed my mind before I thought about the "Run As Administrator" option.

Disagree Cliff. Regardless of the number of users on the system, there's a segregation of rolls necessary to properly control, config and protect the system. Starting about XP, there were strong suggestions that users have limited access while admin activities be constrained to another id.

On many systems, there's a unique user-id that by definition is the ROOT or the Administrator ID. While we can give admin rights to any ID, that's not the same as actually running from the Administrator-ID. There are conditions that using admin rights are not sufficient and running from the admin-id is enforced.

The whole concept is, without controls, system files can be infected without the knowledge of the user. The UAC is the mechanism to ensure that notice is given when things are abnormally being modified. I set my to PROMPT for all changes to make everything visible to me.

You mean the trash that I turned off? With it turned off there shouldn't be anything in place to stop said process.
No,you stopped the notification that gives you the opportunity to allow it to continue:) Exactly the inverse perspective

No I turned UAC (User Account Control) off. Meaning there shouldn't be any part of the system trying to control what does or does not operate. It would be stupid for Microsoft to only turn off notification without turning off the functionality of the control. Which seems to be the case and why I am bitching.

Which is why you have issues. You're running into permission issues and no means to tell the system, yes, please allow.

Which is why you have issues.
No it's not. You are obviously part of the problem, if you can't see why your theory is incomplete programming. Which means there is no sense continuing the conversation with you.

The reason I say I'm not the problem, I'm only now having this issue with Windows 10. Even though you say it dates back to XP. It is plain to see it is a Windows 10 issue. I didn't have this issue in Windows 7. And it's not the first time I have encountered it in Windows 10.

Clearly we misunderstand each other totally, and as you are emotionally attached to the issue, I'll just bow out and beg your forgiveness.

Back