Trouble with chassis fan

Wesablo

Hey, I just moved my rig into a new Thermaltake case, which has about 3 huge led fans. I have 2 problems...

Most of the fans work but seem to run very slow, and particularly the fan speed control won't work.

I'm not too sure what I did wrong here, but there was one thing I noticed that was weird and wasn't in my old tower, which was a 2nd, 2-prong PWR Led lead in addition to the main power lead. I didn't do anything with it because I didn't know where to attach it to.

I have a Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H Mobo, and the new case I got was this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133086

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
~Wes

are these fans plugged into the motherboard, or using a 4 pin molex?
If the MB, are the ones running slowly 3 pin, or 4 pin?

They are probably being auto controlled by the MB according to temperature. Have a look in your bios to see what temp/fan settings are enabled or disabled and how they are set.

I hooked the only molex cable I found up to the PSU. My PSU is 700w, so I would think it would be enough, but I'm not sure it seems even the PSU fan is running slowly. I'm on the computer right now, so it seems alright just maybe the speed control isn't hooked up correctly.

Either way, there's a knob on the front the turns to control fan speed, and presses down to change led colors on the fans. The color change button works. The only fan I hooked up to the Mobo is the main back fan that is the only regular fan in my case, the rest are the big led fans. I haven't checked anything in BIOS.

, but I'm not sure it seems even the PSU fan is running slowly.

Does this new case run quite a bit cooler than your last setup? i wonder if overall the fans are running slower because of overall lower temps I dont know what fan controller you have, but mine adjusts the fan RPM by temp. are the LED's dimmed? or do they seem to be the same?

The colors seem to be the same, although when I turn the fan speed dial they get a tad brighter as I go up...I know pretty surely that this case is cooler than my last, because my last was a smaller tower with only about 2 fans total. This one has 3 LARGE led fans, and then the main back one that's a tad smaller on top of that.

I've never ****ed with things like fan speed control and temperature control in the bios, especially with this mobo, so if you think that's a possibility then maybe thats my problem - I should note that I only see one fan connector for the mobo, and one molex connector as well. The one fan mobo cord is connected to my sys_fan slot on the mobo and the other molex is connected to my PSU.

I automatically assumed something was wrong, but maybe you are right, everything just runs lower because its a better/bigger case...Like I said I'm on it right now, I'm just kind of nervous that somethings wrong and I'm gonna exacerbate it by keeping it on.

I've never ****ed with things like fan speed control and temperature control in the bios, especially with this mobo, so if you think that's a possibility then maybe thats my problem

You may not have had too. It might be the default settings.
Btw, you have a 'SYS_FAN' header at then bottom of the MB next to the 1394 connector (underneath the PCI slot)

I bet your just running cooler than you were. if you check the bios and run a CPU load test, you will probably hear them spin up with temp.

Sooo, I kinda feel like a ***** now, but after tweaking everything for a long time and double and triple checking everything, I noticed something... I think that the speed knob has worked all along, it's just that the difference in the fan rotation is so small that it's hard to notice/hear. I have a fan speed control knob on my other tower, and I always heard a very distinct noise difference when adjusting it. Now I think that was mainly because the fans are smaller. Either way, everything helped me out so I appreciate everything, and sorry for being slightly retarded.

Sooo, I kinda feel like a ***** now, but after tweaking everything for a long time and double and triple checking everything, I noticed something... I think that the speed knob has worked all along, it's just that the difference in the fan rotation is so small that it's hard to notice/hear. I have a fan speed control knob on my other tower, and I always heard a very distinct noise difference when adjusting it. Now I think that was mainly because the fans are smaller. Either way, everything helped me out so I appreciate everything, and sorry for being slightly retarded.

:haha: anybody who puts these things together eventually misses something, even after double checking three times. Glad it worked out.

Back