Troubleshooting help - Dimension not powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some info of the situation before I describe the problem:

The machine is a 95 Dell Dimension V433c with 2x 200GB Hard Drives, and 512 MB of ram. It is currently being used with no GUI as a network fileserver. The machine was fully functional with no blips ever, up till 3 days ago after I swapped a hard drive. The universal power cable that its connected to the power with has been checked and even swapped, and is working fine. The powerboard that the computer is connected to has been reset and is working fine. Other equipment is running on the same circuit and as such it is not blown.

3 days ago I took a hard drive out to use in another machine temporarily, and was extremely careful getting it out (system fully shut down/unplugged, antistatic etc). Yesterday I put the drive back in the machine. When I plugged the power cable in and turned the power on I noticed there was no green power light on the motherboard. I tried powering up the machine with the power button but it didn't turn on. Upon jimmying the power cable around, I have found that if you stick it at a certain angle you can get the machine to start to power on, for between one half and a whole second, but it immedeatly powers off.

What I need to know is what component has died (if anything). I have a suspicion that it is the psu but cannot be sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Theo

It may be entirely coincidental, but I think the power supply is bad. Change it first, before suspecting the motherboard

You buggered up the power supply with all that messing around. Now you have to decide whether a 1995 Dell 433 MHz has any value that would encourage you to spend $40 to buy a new, and possibly proprietary, power supply.

Fixed

Hi guys,

I fiddled around with the computer a bit last night, reseated the memory, took out and left the battery for a while, re connected all the cables, and gave everything a good cleaning, particularly the powersupply and it works fine now. So thanks for that!

Theo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back