Trump declares national emergency over threats to US networks, adds Huawei to export blacklist

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Donald Trump has declared a national emergency that effectively bans US companies from buying and using telecoms equipment from "foreign adversaries" that poses a threat to national security. While the order does not name any country or firm, China and Huawei are the obvious targets.

The move will “deal with the threat posed by the unrestricted acquisition or use in the United States of information and communications technology […] supplied by persons owned by, controlled by, or subject to the jurisdiction or direction of foreign adversaries.”

The US has long accused Huawei of spying on behalf of the Chinese government, leading to Trump signing the Defense Authorization Act that bans US government agencies and contractors from using certain Huawei tech. America has been warning allies not to use Huawei equipment in their 5G networks else face being cut off from US intelligence, and it recently accused the firm of being funded by Chinese state security.

The Commerce Department has 150 days to draft an enforcement plan and name the companies that could be banned under the executive order.

The decision comes in the middle of the long-running US-China trade war, which saw the Trump administration hike tariffs on $200 million of Chinese goods from 10 percent to 25 percent.

Following the announcement of the order, the Commerce Department revealed that Huawei and 70 affiliates had been added to the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Entity List, meaning US companies cannot do business with them without approval from the BIS.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai welcomed the order, calling it "a significant step toward securing America's networks."

Responding to the move, Huawei said: "Restricting Huawei from doing business in the US will not make the US more secure or stronger. Instead, this will only serve to limit the US to inferior yet more expensive alternatives, leaving the US lagging behind in 5G deployment, and eventually harming the interests of US companies and consumers."

The Chinese tech giant added that it was "ready and willing to engage with the US government and come up with effective measures to ensure product security."

Permalink to story.

""Restricting Huawei from doing business in the US will not make the US more secure or stronger. Instead, this will only serve to limit the US to inferior yet more expensive alternatives, leaving the US lagging behind in 5G deployment, and eventually harming the interests of US companies and consumers."

More expensive? Possibly, but I don't know how they could be "inferior alternatives" since nearly all of Huawei's tech is stolen. Besides, not having your gadgets phoning home to Beijing is worth a modest premium.

How is he going to get his chinese made iPhone that I believe he uses to tweet his laws .. even if they were affected with backdoor syndrome the spy networks would know about them and have programs ready to infiltrate the Chinese networks like any decent Spymaster would do.....

""Restricting Huawei from doing business in the US will not make the US more secure or stronger. Instead, this will only serve to limit the US to inferior yet more expensive alternatives, leaving the US lagging behind in 5G deployment, and eventually harming the interests of US companies and consumers."

More expensive? Possibly, but I don't know how they could be "inferior alternatives" since nearly all of Huawei's tech is stolen. Besides, not having your gadgets phoning home to Beijing is worth a modest premium.
Stolen doesn't make it inferior. Also if it were stolen tech, selling in US jurisdiction would be subject to US patent law. I don't see any claims of that here. I see national security claims so please quit with the rubbish alarmism.

How is he going to get his chinese made iPhone that I believe he uses to tweet his laws .. even if they were affected with backdoor syndrome the spy networks would know about them and have programs ready to infiltrate the Chinese networks like any decent Spymaster would do.....
Since Apple is a US based company, what makes you think that Apple phones might be a national security issue, like Huawei equipment has been shown to be?

Since Apple is a US based company, what makes you think that Apple phones might be a national security issue, like Huawei equipment has been shown to be?
Don't mind him, he just wanted to use this opportunity to say: Orange Man Bad!

US based? Exactly what part of the iphone or samsung phones or 90% of every computer part is manufactured in the USA?!
I'm willing to bet somewhere between 1-5% AT most.
Everything is manufactured in Singapore, china, korea, japan etc.
Just because your accountant has an office in USA does not give your manufacturing a free pass.

Where is the actual proof that huawei products are spying/stealing info/doing anything illegal or bad?
If they had proof there would be lawsuits, compensation, etc. OOooooH wait how silly of me, US politics does not care about facts! trololololol

How dare you, Huawei. How dare you doing the same **** that American corporations do?? Don't you know it's a criminal act? I mean... not when Google, Apple, Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and NSA does it... then it's okay...

Basically how I feel aswell.
Huawei is not an innovative company.
Its a company with shoddy software and slapped together also-ran devices which are built on govt funds and ultimately serve as an arm of espionage to the chinese government.

How dare you, Huawei. How dare you doing the same **** that American corporations do?? Don't you know it's a criminal act? I mean... not when Google, Apple, Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and NSA does it... then it's okay...
What are you talking about? Please explain.

The Trump administration used the national security threat card to justify imposing tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum in 2018.

Interestingly, the same administration who put the ban on Huawei has lifted the ban on ZTE, which is not any less Chinese than Huawei.

I smell lies and corruption here.

Chinese network equipment manufacturers hardly stole anything from any Western company. In late 1990s, the Chinese government began to openly invite hi-tech and telecom companies from the US and everywhere else to open their facilities in China. They offered cheap and hard-working labor, low taxes, subsidized shipping, access to huge market, and political stability in exchange for some of the intellectual properties. Some companies, like Cisco and IBM just to name a couple, took the offer. This is how Chinese network companies got their hands on some parts of the technology. The rest they either reverse engineered or reinvented themselves. China has more engineering graduates than the US, after all -- a large number of whom got their masters and PhD from reputable Western institutions, including US institutions like MIT and Harvard. So there was hardly any stealing going on.

The administration should've put a ban on sales of US tech and transfer of intellectual properties to Chinese firms, in addition to restricting the number of Chinese students studying in US institutions, to actually address the root cause. But they're not doing that anytime soon, because it would throttle the rate of money coming in to the US and increase the burden to subsidize the higher education, which is increasingly relying on tuition from foreign students, whom pay up to three times as much as American students and 30% of all foreign students in the US are Chinese nationals. US administrations prefer to keep their war machines lubricated and ready to deploy anytime anywhere than to get their citizens educated and smart.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Please explain.

I'm talking about spying on everyone. Huawei isn't spying on their users even 25% of what American corporations and government does. And yet it's "unacceptable". Why would that be unacceptable, but when US corporations do then it's acceptable? It's just funny.

Back