Trump plans meeting with video game makers to discuss gun violence, but industry group...

midian182

Staff member

During a press briefing yesterday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced that President Trump was planning to meet executives within the video game industry next week to discuss the issue of gun violence. But the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which represents the industry, says it hasn’t received any invitations.

Sanders said Trump has already “met with a number of stakeholders” involved in the gun control debate. “Next week, he’ll also be meeting with members of the video game industry to see what they can do on that front as well. This is going to be an ongoing process and something that we don’t expect to happen overnight, but something that we’re going to continue to be engaged in and continue to look for the best ways possible to make sure we’re doing everything we can to protect schools across the country,” she added.

Several politicians and public figures have spoken out against video games in the wake of the Florida high school shooting that left 17 dead. Rhode Island Representative Robert Nardolillo and Kentucky governor Matt Bevin are two high-profile figures who have blamed games for influencing violent acts, despite a lack of solid scientific evidence linking the two.

Trump has expressed a similar, if slightly more moderate, view on the subject. At a recent meeting with lawmakers, he said: "It's hard to believe that at least for a percentage—maybe it's a small percentage of children—this [media violence] doesn't have a negative impact on their thought process."

Despite Sanders’ claims, the ESA said neither it nor its member companies had received any invitations to meet with Trump. It counts virtually every large video game publisher among its members, including Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Activision, Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Square Enix, and Ubisoft.

“The same video games played in the US are played worldwide,” the ESA added. “However, the level of gun violence is exponentially higher in the US than in other countries. Numerous authorities have examined the scientific record and found there is no link between media content and real-life violence.”

“The US video game industry has a long history of partnering with parents and more than 20 years of rating video games through the Entertainment Software Rating Board. We take great steps to provide tools to help players and parents make informed entertainment decisions.”

Earlier this week, a Chicago judge banned a teenager from playing violent video games (Mario Kart is okay) after he made a shooting threat on social media.

Permalink to story.

"Rhode Island Representative Robert Nardolillo and Kentucky governor Matt Bevin are two high-profile figures who have blamed games for influencing violent acts..."

Proof enough that politicians don't know anything.

“The same video games played in the US are played worldwide,” the ESA added. “However, the level of gun violence is exponentially higher in the US than in other countries. Numerous authorities have examined the scientific record and found there is no link between media content and real-life violence.”

Rock solid. Should be a quick meeting. But this is Trump and the Republican party we're dealing with, so it's basically opposite day in Bizarro World.

Sure, why not talk about guns in games? Meanwhile, let the real guns be sold freely...
Truckloads of bullsh*t.

One guns are not sold freely. Back ground checks are done...Now there is the complete and udder failure of law enforcement / government to actually put data in the back ground checks to prevent people that shouldn't have them in the first place. For example

The FBI received TWO tips about the FL shooter: They did nothing
The local sheriffs dept went on over 40 calls to his house for domestic disturbances: They did nothing
The shooter even called 911 and told them he was about to / wanted to kill people: They did nothing

Now people blame guns not the complete failure to enforce current laws.

It doesn't make sense to ask the same group of people that failed to enforce current law to enforce a bunch a new laws.

Just because something is illegal does not stop it. It is illegal to buy alcohol if you are under 21. Did not stop me and my friends. We found shops that would sell to minors.

If guns were outlawed do you really believe that would get rid of them? like making drugs illegal stopped the import of drugs?

If guns were outlawed do you really believe that would get rid of them?

It wouldn't "get rid of them" entirely but it would certainly help stem the tide of mass shootings. It worked for Australia. It worked for the UK.

Yes, mental health plays a part. But there are killings all over the world due to mental health, and none are as bad as the US - because of guns.

Don't sit there and tell us that "it's the system" and "guns don't kill people, people do". Don't tell me that making something illegal doesn't make it go away - I'm not that stupid. It's certainly better than having it freely available to anyone who wants it. And you can't compare buying alcohol to buying guns - alcohol doesn't kill hundreds of people in minutes.

Enough with the tired arguments that ignore the root cause. Action must be taken, America cannot continue to just sit there and let it happen.

It wouldn't "get rid of them" entirely but it would certainly help stem the tide of mass shootings. It worked for Australia. It worked for the UK.

Yes, mental health plays a part. But there are killings all over the world due to mental health, and none are as bad as the US - because of guns.

Don't sit there and tell us that "it's the system" and "guns don't kill people, people do". Don't tell me that making something illegal doesn't make it go away - I'm not that stupid. It's certainly better than having it freely available to anyone who wants it. And you can't compare buying alcohol to buying guns - alcohol doesn't kill hundreds of people in minutes.

Enough with the tired arguments that ignore the root cause. Action must be taken, America cannot continue to just sit there and let it happen.

"It worked for Australia. It worked for the UK" Think about that...THEY HAVE SECURE BOARDERS!! THEY ARE ISLANDS.
The US does not have secure boarders.

Alcohol Kills more people than guns duh
Every day, 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes on average. In 2010, 10,228 people died in drunk driving crashes – one every 52 minutes – and 345,000 were injured. In 2010, people killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes accounted for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths.

There is a differnf

If guns were outlawed do you really believe that would get rid of them?

The root causes were determined ages ago: the breakdown of the American family, the unwillingness to address mental health issues in our society and systemic failures of law enforcement. A higher percentage of Americans owned guns fifty years ago and yet we had no mass shootings. You can't argue with the facts.

It is people that kill

London stabbings: 80 people stabbed to death in capital in 2017 after four killed in 'senseless' New Year knife attacks

TRUMP is the biggest cyberbully that ever existed.

He's a symptom of what's wrong with these kids in the first place.

Another sociopath who managed to con enough people to get into office.

He ain't taking my Ar-15, my Desert Eagle or my Kimber.

DUE PROCESS ain't up for debate.

Last edited:
It is people that kill

London stabbings: 80 people stabbed to death in capital in 2017 after four killed in 'senseless' New Year knife attacks

That was for the entire year. Meanwhile in America 15,596 people were shot to death in 2017.

And I literally did say that killings occur everywhere, just not on the scale that they do in the US. Alcohol is legal just about everywhere. Violent video games and movies exist just about everywhere. People have mental health problems everywhere. But no, let's continue to shift the blame to those things instead of guns.

Last edited:
It is people that kill

That was for the entire year. Meanwhile in America 15,596 people were shot to death in 2017.

And I literally did say that killings occur everywhere, just not on the scale that they do in the US. Alcohol is legal just about everywhere. Violent video games and movies exist just about everywhere. People have mental health problems everywhere. But no, let's continue to shift the blame to those things instead of guns.

You're not going to get rid of guns in America. There are 3 times more guns than human beings here. Every time I hear a "just get rid of the guns" argument, it tells me the speaker has no clue what's involved.

What gets all the news here are the school shootings. But that 15,596 killed stat you mentioned? A huge chunk of that are gang-bangers killing each other off. No mental illness there, just stupidity and a whole lot of illegal guns.

Hi! Don't give up yet. We have some young people that have some horse sense. I'm counting on them to get the job done. They have already started making a difference. The NRA is losing a lot of its support and some gun shops are taking the AR15 of the shelf. I like what the young people saying. "Listen to us or we'll vote you out" Big march this month.
Not much of a hunter if you need a semi-automatic to bring a deer down. They are good for one thing and that's to kill people. You don't need to be real smart to understand that. Seven more years of Trump and it won't matter. We'll all be dead ROFL. Trump won't do an thing but run his mouth and go to dinner with the NRA. Follow the money!

Hi! Don't give up yet. We have some young people that have some horse sense. I'm counting on them to get the job done. They have already started making a difference. The NRA is losing a lot of its support and some gun shops are taking the AR15 of the shelf. I like what the young people saying. "Listen to us or we'll vote you out" Big march this month.
Not much of a hunter if you need a semi-automatic to bring a deer down. They are good for one thing and that's to kill people. You don't need to be real smart to understand that. Seven more years of Trump and it won't matter. We'll all be dead ROFL. Trump won't do an thing but run his mouth and go to dinner with the NRA. Follow the money!

I am a hunter and an avid shooter. I own both hunting rifles, shotguns and I also own tactical type firearms like shotguns and a couple AR-15's. I also own handguns with various uses.

Of course the AR-15 is used to kill people. It's used for not only self-defense but also to defend this country against any enemy foreign and domestic, it's one of the main principles of the 2nd amendment. I don't get what people are trying to accomplish by saying an AR-15 is only meant to kill people. Yes? it is. What is your point being? Sadly in this world there are bad people and those bad people sometimes need a bullet before you get the bullet. So what's the problem?

As someone who loves and enjoys Carmageddon and Duke3D and running around in GTA San Andreas with a dildo beating up people to death I say this is long overdue. Torture scenes like they are in GTA V exist solely so you can get off on the active display of despicable cruelty.

Driving over old people in Carmageddon is fun and frankly not serious. But the balance is off these days. You can only go further to a certain point in a society that is no longer about values but about lust.

Hopefully he goes after the TV shows too.

Oh and for everyone who wants to get rid of guns, this will not save you from false flags.

It's used for not only self-defense but also to defend this country against any enemy foreign and domestic, it's one of the main principles of the 2nd amendment. I don't get what people are trying to accomplish by saying an AR-15 is only meant to kill people. Yes? it is. What is your point being? Sadly in this world there are bad people and those bad people sometimes need a bullet before you get the bullet. So what's the problem?
National Guard, Police, FBI, Coast Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines - seems we have no absence of well-trained militias like we did when the 2nd was written. Sounds like you like to take the law into your own hands, though, so I guess we are all safe since you will dispense justice, rightly, where and when you deem necessary.

Sounds like typical clown-n-chief. He doesn't need execs from the gaming industry - he will just write an executive order banning video games.

Run his mouth - in changing what he says to placate those who just might be listening to him that day. Personally, I do not think he is worth listening to any longer since he says something different by the second.

Wait, are kids using video games to kill other kids? Did I miss something? Oh, wait it's a gun debate, so we need to control everything that isn't guns, because a gun never killed anyo... oh wait... yup, it was definitely the video game that massacred kids.

"It worked for Australia. It worked for the UK" Think about that...THEY HAVE SECURE BOARDERS!! THEY ARE ISLANDS.
The US does not have secure boarders.

Alcohol Kills more people than guns duh
Every day, 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes on average. In 2010, 10,228 people died in drunk driving crashes – one every 52 minutes – and 345,000 were injured. In 2010, people killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes accounted for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths.

There is a differnf
Think again!! These figures are from Chicago ALONE in one week:
Shot & Killed: 3
Shot & Wounded: 20
Total Shot: 23
Total Homicides: 4
In the U.S.A. annually:
Gun violence results in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries. In 2013, there were 73,505 nonfatal firearm injuries (23.2 injuries per 100,000 U.S. citizens), and 33,636 deaths due to "injury by firearms" (10.6 deaths per 100,000 U.S. citizens).
Drunk drivers very often only kill THEMSELVES - that doesn't mean that they are not scumbags for risking other people's lives - but what are you going to do, Shoot them? (stupid question as in the U.S.A. you probably will).

I am a hunter and an avid shooter. I own both hunting rifles, shotguns and I also own tactical type firearms like shotguns and a couple AR-15's. I also own handguns with various uses.

Of course the AR-15 is used to kill people. It's used for not only self-defense but also to defend this country against any enemy foreign and domestic, it's one of the main principles of the 2nd amendment. I don't get what people are trying to accomplish by saying an AR-15 is only meant to kill people. Yes? it is. What is your point being? Sadly in this world there are bad people and those bad people sometimes need a bullet before you get the bullet. So what's the problem?

Arguing with the ignorant will get you nowhere. The anti-gun zealots know NOTHING!

Sure, why not talk about guns in games? Meanwhile, let the real guns be sold freely...
Truckloads of bullsh*t.

One guns are not sold freely. Back ground checks are done...Now there is the complete and udder failure of law enforcement / government to actually put data in the back ground checks to prevent people that shouldn't have them in the first place. For example

The FBI received TWO tips about the FL shooter: They did nothing
The local sheriffs dept went on over 40 calls to his house for domestic disturbances: They did nothing
The shooter even called 911 and told them he was about to / wanted to kill people: They did nothing

Now people blame guns not the complete failure to enforce current laws.

It doesn't make sense to ask the same group of people that failed to enforce current law to enforce a bunch a new laws.

Just because something is illegal does not stop it. It is illegal to buy alcohol if you are under 21. Did not stop me and my friends. We found shops that would sell to minors.

If guns were outlawed do you really believe that would get rid of them? like making drugs illegal stopped the import of drugs?

You've also got to remember that many states are using state run systems as well, so the quality of gun control varies greatly. For example, it is not a requirement at the federal level to include mental health issues on a background check. States may implement it if they choose but few do and the few that do have to deal with incomplete data.

You are essentially correct, we just need to fix up the current system.

Back