Trump's new executive order looks to improve government cyber defenses

midian182

Staff member

From the 2015 Office of Personnel Management hack to Russia’s interference in the election, the US government and its agencies don’t have the best reputation when it comes to network security. To try and improve the situation, President Trump has signed an executive order intended to "strengthen the cybersecurity of federal networks and critical infrastructure."

The order directs that heads of federal agencies have 90 days to prepare reports explaining how they plan to adopt The Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity, a guidance document developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to protect against hacking threats.

Once the reports are filed, the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget will present the information to the President within another 60 days.

The order also aims to bolster the defenses of critical infrastructure such as the energy grid, financial sector, and health networks.

“We’ve seen increasing attacks from allies and adversaries, primarily nation-states, and sitting by and doing nothing is no longer an option,” said White House homeland security advisor Tom Bossert, who added that the order builds on efforts introduced by the former Obama administration, which encouraged but didn’t require agencies to adopt the NIST framework.

Additionally, the order commissions a survey to determine the feasibility of updating government IT systems to shared services and network models.

Many experts and digital advocacy groups welcomed the order, but there are those that say it doesn’t go far enough, offering only incremental changes to what’s already in place.

“The action does not touch several critical areas, like the insecurity of ‘Internet of Things’ devices, data breaches, or vulnerability disclosure,” said Drew Mitnick, policy counsel at Access Now.

Last month, it was reported that Trump’s 90-day deadline for the report had passed. When asked if the revised new order - arriving in the wake of FBI Director James Comey’s firing – came about as part of the Russian hacking investigation, Bossert said “It wasn’t a Russia-motivated issue. It was a United States of America-motivated issue.”

Permalink to story.

That blonde buffoons Tweets and texts are rather a substantial threat to Americas cyber defense.

Just a thought. ;)

That's a rather buffoonish statement. What's he tweeted that's a substantial threat to our cyber security? Hurt feelings don't count as a threat, sweetheart.

In other words, instead of NSA, CIA, FBI and those other alphabet agencies hacking your computer, he wants a Trump business to do it instead! Nice .... real nice!

Still don't see how that endangers the security of the US.
Well considering the gibberish and nonsensical remarks Trump has come away with to date, which lets face, it could be considered to be rather synonymous with the ramblings of a senile old codger on the verge of entering a retirement home.

One has to wonder what else he may be inclined to disclose at 2 am in the early hours of the morning? Seems as possible a threat as any other. ;)

Last edited:
A minor one
Minor/major, it's not like the nation or Man in question has not been known to make a mountain out of a molehill, especially if it suites an agenda. Minor problems of such variety have been know to snowball and take on there own direction, such is the nature of the information age in which we live.

Last edited:
Minor/major, it's not like the nation or Man in question has not been known to make a mountain out of a molehill, especially if it suites an agenda. Minor problems of such variety have been know to snowball and take on there own direction, such is the nature of the information age in which we live.
Yea. Unlike the news media which is 95% against the man.

Well considering the gibberish and nonsensical remarks Trump has come away with to date, which lets face, it could be considered to be rather synonymous with the ramblings of a senile old codger on the verge of entering a retirement home.

One has to wonder what else he may be inclined to disclose at 2 am in the early hours of the morning? Seems as possible a threat as any other. ;)
"Well considering the gibberish and nonsensical remarks" Unlike 95% of the news or Maxine Wetters

Looking at this situation from the very large country to the north of the USA I must say I have never seen the media go all out like they have against this man. At least when the media was against Nixon there was a reason, he was impeached (and received a Presidential pardon I believe). From the little I have read (too much news depresses me, why get worked up when I can't change or influence any of the negativity I am reading) it seems to me that he is doing a pretty damn good job so far.
It is unfortunate (here as well) that partisan politics is the game of the day, rather than working together to create a better country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at this situation from the very large country to the north of the USA I must say I have never seen the media go all out like they have against this man. At least when the media was against Nixon there was a reason, he was impeached (and received a Presidential pardon I believe). From the little I have read (too much news depresses me, why get worked up when I can't change or influence any of the negativity I am reading) it seems to me that he is doing a pretty damn good job so far.
It is unfortunate (here as well) that partisan politics is the game of the day, rather than working together to create a better country.
Personally I cannot fathom how building nonsensical 2000 mile long walls(Or claiming you are going to) and isolating a minority population via belligerent racist comments could be considered to be "damn good job".

Personally I cannot fathom how building nonsensical 2000 mile long walls(Or claiming you are going to) and isolating a minority population via belligerent racist comments could be considered to be "damn good job".
The reason you can't fathom is because your claims are not true. Walls work, criminal aliens have no rights(the moment they crossed the border they became criminals) and Trump knows what made America great and it wasn't giving stuff away...what makes America great is the ability to succeed not the ability to suck.

Just keep Donna Trump away from the large red button.

he's a Donna, hardly a Donald.

a liar, a prima dona and totally incompetent.....and likely a Communist sympathizer.

The reason you can't fathom is because your claims are not true. Walls work, criminal aliens have no rights(the moment they crossed the border they became criminals) and Trump knows what made America great and it wasn't giving stuff away...what makes America great is the ability to succeed not the ability to suck.
All people have rights to some degree, stands to reason.
As to walls working. LoL You do relies ladders, ropes and tunnels somewhat negate a walls ability to do what it says on the tin???
America will never be great again at the expense of the rest of the world. Only way to achieve such is to make the world great, or at least significantly better than it is for a lot of people.

All people have rights to some degree, stands to reason.
As to walls working. LoL You do relies ladders, ropes and tunnels somewhat negate a walls ability to do what it says on the tin???
America will never be great again at the expense of the rest of the world. Only way to achieve such is to make the world great, or at least significantly better than it is for a lot of people.
I love egging you knockheads on. Hope your morning cereal din fall out you mouth. LOL

Just keep Donna Trump away from the large red button.

he's a Donna, hardly a Donald.

a liar, a prima dona and totally incompetent.....and likely a Communist sympathizer.
What's in your pipe? Stay straight for a day, if you can...and I'll bet you can't

Back