Trying to connect 2 computerw via ethernet cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i have 2 computers 1 is running win 2 k pro sp4 and the other is running vista hp sp1. i am trying to connect them together via ethernet cable for file sharing, ect, and i do not know how to configure the comps. can someone explain to me how to get it working. i do not know how to set it up. please help, thanx, dennis

You can't do it with a straight cable, at least not without having higher than normal intellegence NICs. You will have to use a crossover cable (for a simple solution), or a hub or router if you are stuck with straight cables.

I am not an expert at either Windows2K or Vista, but if they are both connected to a router (i.e. you can access the internet from either computer). Look in the help files under shared folders. This should tell specifically what to do on either OS as far as security setups,etc.

If the computers are not presently hooked to an ethernet cable, you need some type of hub or router. A crossover cable (special network cable for this purpose) would also work, but a hub is easier to deal with, just plug both computers in with standard ethernet cable.

How are you connected to the internet today?
Right now, how are you connected to the Internet?? Assuming, for example, you have an incoming wire from your ISP please describe the how your hardware is connected now and the make/model of each computer and modem (your ISP cable probably connects to a modem device. Look for a metallic tag on it to give you the make/model)

This will help answer the best method for you to create a Local Area Network (LAN) for all your computers.

Here are some links you can start reviewing about configuring for file sharing, etc. but strongly advise you don't change anything until you've established your LAN. There are so many ways file sharing on Windows can fail is best not attempt it until you've proven you can establish a basic LAN

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

WinXP Pro File Sharing

Five Windows Vista Tips for Networking and File Sharing

im all wireless. the modem im not sure i dont have access to it right now but i know the wire comes from outside to that then an ethernet wire goes to a router is a wireless netgear wgt624v3 the usb adapters on the boxes aer netgear wg111v2. boxes are 1. emachines t5264 with vista hp sp1 the other an older dell opti plexwith win 2k pro sp4. i wanna connect an ethernet cable direct from 1 box to the other box cause i can send files from the 2k to the vista box with ease but the other way and it starts then times out and says make sure your connected to the network. the connection don't drop but the d/l stops. someone told me in some situations u dont need a croos over cable cause most ethernet hardware will automatically switch to make the comp think theres a crossover in it or somethin like that. i think its called auto sensing. true or not?

Newer routers and switches do have auto-sensing, but your two PC's connected together directly will not avail themselves of this auto-sensing and it is not likely that your PCs' NICs will have that feature. So, it a crossover Ethernet cable is your best bet for this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back