Trying to create a mini home cinema system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainmk

I am currently planning to upgrade my room to a nice cinema system style. I'm going to be buying a Samsung 32in HD TV, and as well as being able to view normal TV with the freeview channels, I want to be able to relay my HD (MKV) video files from my computer to the TV also, is this possible?

Another question is that, If I buy an additional 5.1 surround music system for my new TV, but I already have a 2.1 system set up for my PC, will this be a problem, and will this interfere with the sound system of the TV when I try to relay videos onto the TV from the PC?

I have a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme 7.1 Sound Card

This is my current graphics card:
http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...odid=GX-051-OK

This is the TV I want to get:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128474

The music system I want to get for the TV:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120414

Will it be possible, and what is the best way to go about and do it?

Yes, it is possible.

For whatever reason your graphics card link didn't work, but that doesn't matter. That TV has 2 HDMI inputs and 1 VGA. So depending on your card and preference you can run a DVI to HDMI cable, or a straight up VGA to VGA. Either will look fine since the TV isn't really pushing the VGA resolution hard enough that DVI/HDMI would look better.

The issue I see is with your 5.1 you'll need center channel and stuff set up based around your TV. This will screw up stereo and surround for gaming if you aren't using the TV for that (or have the TV and monitor next to each other).

I suppose you 'might' be able to get around this by splitting the output of your soundcard and running 1 to your 2.1 and one to your 5.1 and just alternate which system is on depending on what you are doing at the time. I'm not sure how all that works since I've never ran a 5.1 system from my computer.

If you want to use the TV as a desktop monitor too, then I don't think you will be happy, everything will appear physically huge because its basically a gigantic PC monitor but without high resolution.

If you are planning on using it for a TV and watching videos from your computer then it will be fine, on that size you won't notice any difference between 1080 and 720 for video.

just to add,you can plug the Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers that
you're planning to get to your PC.

& plug your existing 2.1 speaker system to your 32in HD TV's headphone output.

im just thinking you can still use the 2.1 speakers when you're just watching
a regular TV channel.better than the existing 10 W x 2 (RMS) speakers
of the Samsung 32in HD TV.(add's more low frequency or bass).

& tune down the volume a liitle bit on the 2.1 speaker system when you're
watching video from your PC & let the X-540 shake the place.

The only reason I suggested the splitting idea was because that way he could set up the 5.1 for when he's playing his mkv files on the tv. Then use the 2.1 for gaming/music. I only suggested that because I don't know how easy it is to change what speaker is the center channel, l and r and rears. Which is going to be an issue if the TV and monitor aren't facing the same direction.

Thanks for all your replies.
SNGX1275, I was actually not intending to use it as a monitor at all, the only link I want it to have with my PC is to be able to relay on MKV video files so I don't have to burn onto disc. BTW, thanks for your helpful reply, but I was specifically asking if having only 1080i and not 1080p would disadvantage me greatly :)

The TV and monitor won't be in the same place, and won't be facing the same direction at all, that's why I think I need different set of sound speakers. Thanks a lot for all your replies. I think I know what I should do now, thanks :)

Captainmk said:
but I was specifically asking if having only 1080i and not 1080p would disadvantage me greatly :)

No, it wouldn't, but that really isn't the question you should be asking since that TV won't do 1080i or p. It is a 720p TV which is standard for a 32" LCD. So I was answering the question of whether you'd be disadvantaged by having 720 rather than 1080, and the answer was no.

SNGX1275 said:
No, it wouldn't, but that really isn't the question you should be asking since that TV won't do 1080i or p. It is a 720p TV which is standard for a 32" LCD. So I was answering the question of whether you'd be disadvantaged by having 720 rather than 1080, and the answer was no.

Oh I see, understood, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back