Trying to play Destiny 2 on the Steam Deck could get you banned

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Are you looking forward to playing Destiny 2 on the Steam Deck? You may want to temper those hopes; developer Bungie is warning that doing so could result in a ban from the looter shooter. Like Fortnite, Destiny 2 isn’t officially supported on the Arch Linux-based SteamOS used by Valve’s new handheld, and its developer doesn’t want people trying to circumvent the incompatibility measures.

Wario64 spotted a message on the Bungie Help website that states: "Destiny 2 is not supported for play on the Steam Deck or on any system utilizing Steam Play's Proton unless Windows is installed and running. Players who attempt to launch Destiny 2 on the Steam Deck through SteamOS or Proton will be unable to enter the game and will be returned to their game library after a short time."

There’s also a warning for anyone who tries to get Destiny 2 running on SteamOS: “Players who attempt to bypass Destiny 2 incompatibility will be met with a game ban.”

We heard last month that one of the most popular games in the world, Fortnite, also won’t be officially supported on the Steam Deck. Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney blamed this on the lack of compatibility between its anti-cheat solution, Easy Anti-Cheat, and Valve’s device. The CEO did add that there was a big effort underway to get the two running in harmony.

Playing Destiny 2 on SteamOS could potentially get you banned, but it appears Bungie won't penalize those who install Windows on the handheld and run it on that OS. However, the Windows drivers for the Steam Deck aren’t finalized yet, so you should probably wait until they are available before trying to install Microsoft’s OS. Until then, you could always play it on the Steam Deck via Stadia.

If you’re a fan of multiplayer shooters, it appears that EA’s Apex Legends is now working on the Steam Deck, though user reports say the performance is pretty poor in its current state.

Permalink to story.

There are some workarounds that would work for a Linux install without them ever knowing but I don´t think the Steam Deck can handle those (Doing a Virtual Machine with either GPU passthrough or GPU paravirtualization, both options currently not supported by APUs under Linux and KVM)

Still the interesting part is that this is exactly what we all expected to happen: publishers and big developers won't give control of their dumb "We use DRM cause anti-cheat" narratives because well, they made deals worth a lot of money with DRM companies.

Of course technically speaking, Valve could start suing them: they're intentionally making their competing OS worst for no good reason that's basically anti competitive behavior whenever they directly benefit from Microsoft with the behavior or not.

However given the statement Gabe released a couple days ago I don't think they'll start spending most of their earnings in fighting what would effectively turn into a losing battle nobody has managed to win against Microsoft before as even the entire EU fining Microsoft for their practices didn't put a dent on their numbers.

This is why I am not fussed about when my Steam Deck turns up. I'd rather get it when stick drift is fixed (potential hardware defect) and Windows drivers are ready.

This is why I am not fussed about when my Steam Deck turns up. I'd rather get it when stick drift is fixed (potential hardware defect) and Windows drivers are ready.
Reportedly already fixed (was a software regression).

But dual booting Windows will help quite a bit in the short term.

Reportedly already fixed (was a software regression).

But dual booting Windows will help quite a bit in the short term.
Big question is whether they are trying to paper over a hardware defect with a software fix (increasing dead zone), apparently Sony cheaped out on the PS5 controller leading to similar issues, I hope this isn't true with Valve.

Big question is whether they are trying to paper over a hardware defect with a software fix (increasing dead zone), apparently Sony cheaped out on the PS5 controller leading to similar issues, I hope this isn't true with Valve.
Honestly, all it probably needs is a way to let the user calibrate it (assuming such calibration can pretty much be a 1 and done type of thing).

And if they did cheap out (probably did considering their low price), at least it's very cheap/easy to replace it compared to anything else.

Maybe wait until the Windows drivers are ready

Or maybe grow a pair and give cr@ppy companies like this one, the middle finger and demand more as a consumer?

Why we must keep bending over for these corporations?

Last edited by a moderator:
The steam deck isn’t being made in anywhere big enough numbers to get the attention of major games companies. It’s more hassle than it’s worth to support it.

It’s a nice little toy to play some old games with on the sofa.

@Bungie,

Given that Destiny2 isn't that great a game, it's not much of a loss. However, cutting people off from something they have paid for because they want to play that game on a system made BY YOUR DISTRIBUTOR is an act of dishonesty and is little more than childishly pathetic. It borders on blatant theft.

If you folks are trying to piss off the gaming public and motivate many of us to avoid your product offerings, you're doing a bang-up job!

Well done indeed! /s

Last edited:
Back