trying to setup network but XP lacks discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so let me to you how im trying to set it up.

I have one computer that connects to a wired router--->cable modem

I have another computer and a xbox downstairs. I want to setup a ad hoc network so that i can share files between the xbox and the computer connected to the router.

The second computer will not be used for anything but to allow the xbox to connect to the first computer.

This is what i have: 2 wmp54g pci cards installed to both computers.

I have already connected the computers together in ad hoc

I have tried to enable ics on the first computer but it always fails because "an error has occured while internet connection sharing was being enabled"

I have not yet connected the xbox to the second computer and both computers are right next to each other right now(just to make it easier to setup)

I have tried looking up several tutorials but windows just doesnt work like it says it does. Also i have just installed xp onto both computers with all the current updates(sp2, etc..) AND YES all the drivers are installed.

Instead of trying to set up ICS, bridge the wireless and the wired connection on the first computer.

Anyway, why aren't you connectiong the other computer and the xbox to the router directly? It would be a lot more reliable and convenient than the flimsy Windows ICS and bridging.

I can already access the network of the first computer with the second computer but the internet wont work.

first computer is upstairs, and my xbox+secondcomputer are downstairs. I will try to see if a bridge will make the internet work.

Update: sweet, thanks i can now browse the internet on the second computer.

I did not think that a bridge would work on the first computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back