TSMC sees increase in orders as Nvidia plans mystery 5nm product

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: A lot of companies are suffering during this pandemic, but the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) isn’t one of them. According to a new report, the firm is ramping up production to meet demand from Nvidia and AMD, with the former set to use TSMC’s new 5nm process node.

According to Digitimes’ “industry sources,” TSMC will post strong results for the first half of 2020 thanks to upcoming short lead-time orders. The Taiwanese firm is benefitting from Nvidia’s forthcoming Ampere GPU and AMD’s Ryzen and Epyc CPUs.

Digitimes doesn’t go into detail about Nvidia’s 5nm intentions—Ampere is known to be based on the 7nm process—so we don't know what it could be for. AMD is also planning similar orders—a recent roadmap revealed it would use 5nm for its Epyc Genoa chips—and Apple is reportedly moving to 5nm nodes.

As so many people now work and study from home, the lockdown has brought a boost in demand for laptops and desktops, many of which contain Nvidia and AMD hardware. The record spending on digital games—$10 billion in March—is also helping the tech companies’ bottom lines, with people buying gaming laptops, graphics cards, and CPUs. There's also the Xbox Series One and PS5, both of which will contain AMD tech.

The stay-at-home requirements have seen AMD and Nvidia increase their orders with TSMC. Team red’s current lineup of products use 7nm, while Nvidia is buying more 16nm, 12nm, and 7nm nodes to cover its entire family of products, which includes the Tegra X1 processors used in the Nintendo Switch.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang recently confirmed that the company would not be laying off any workers during the Covid-19 crisis, thanks to its strong position. To help employees cope with the economic crisis, everyone at the firm is receiving “accelerating” raises.

Permalink to story.

A gaming laptop is the ultimate necessity during the quarantine.

Nvidia is on the ball. Our stock is doing great even despite Coronavirus

If you're in quarantine, what use do you have for a laptop? You're at home anyway, might as well use a desktop.

Yep. significantly larger monitor, much better performance, upgradeable, and all for much cheaper! I guess if money is no object and you don't care how much slower it is, then I guess waste the money on a laptop?

Last edited:
Smaller chips on new processes first. Possibly some new Tegra SoC models. Nvidia Orin is supposedly Samsung 8nm. Maybe there is some other SoC they want on TSMC 5nm, those ARM Hercules cores are aimed at 5nm apparently. Who can know right now.

I cant wait for the next generation GPU's, my Radeon VII can struggle a little in 4K and after playing Control I really want to see how this game looks with RT because it already looks amazing without it :)

If you're in quarantine, what use do you have for a laptop? You're at home anyway, might as well use a desktop.
Yeah your logic makes 0 sense...…..

Normally, I would have just ignored the replies, but I'll bite:

You assume people are quarantined "at home".

Do you realize that there are a number of expats who travel - or have to work remotely - and they don't have the space to work with large desktops...thereby necessitating the use of powerful laptops ie: desktop replacements?

How about people who have to work in locations that have satellite or Wifi without hard connections?

That is all.

Normally, I would have just ignored the replies, but I'll bite:

You assume people are quarantined "at home".

Do you realize that there are a number of expats who travel - or have to work remotely - and they don't have the space to work with large desktops...thereby necessitating the use of powerful laptops ie: desktop replacements?

How about people who have to work in locations that have satellite or Wifi without hard connections?

That is all.

And you realize that requirements block is so niche as to be statistically insignificant. At a fraction of a percent of the base, it the very definition of "not a necessity".

Umm because people work from different areas of the house. We are in a world of constant movement and business is on the go not just in one area or room. Tons of people cant just stay in one place, they like the freedom of being able to move around, yes even in their own home.

Umm because people work from different areas of the house.

How many people NEED a gaming laptop for work?

This derailment started because gaming laptops were stated as an "ultimate necessity during the quarantine", besides confusing 'luxury' with 'necessity'; a lockdown is a stuck-at-home-bored scenario for most people (not a "I'm still travelling and using wifi in cafes " one) - hence the original subject of increased gaming demand.

I can absolutely see the appeal of gaming laptops. Even now, as the quarantine will end (even if there are subsequent ones). And considering the price of decent gaming laptops, it's something most people are likely to use for several years, so when they are free to go about, they can take their laptop with them.

And yes, there are people, some in the same group above who will like the freedom to go about their place of lockdown.

However, if we're specifically talking about what is probably best more most people, quarantined in their own homes and after a good way to play PC games; then a desktop would be better. Really, if you're working a lot, you should set aside a place to work most of the time. You can also make that your PC gaming place. And if you set it up properly, you won't be messing up your body with bad ergonomics.

One day I'd like to own a gaming laptop I am unreservedly enthusiastic about. It hasn't happened yet, despite having had several were the among the highest-end, best reviewed of their time. I'm just too spoiled and too used to my desktop and all its accessories. The laptops are always an exercise in compromise and trade-offs, and have been less reliable for me too.

How many people NEED a gaming laptop for work?

This derailment started because gaming laptops were stated as an "ultimate necessity during the quarantine", besides confusing 'luxury' with 'necessity'; a lockdown is a stuck-at-home-bored scenario for most people (not a "I'm still travelling and using wifi in cafes " one) - hence the original subject of increased gaming demand.
More than you apparently know or realize. Gaming is just a moniker. Gaming laptops are used for and by students and business ppl. The reason is because of the gpu and the cpu, both are typically better and stronger in those "gaming"models. Engineers use them or anyone doing auto cad work. Anything to do with 3d rendering. People who like multi monitors but still like to have their computer on the go. And because its a gaming model they can still play a game or their kid or wife can. Tons of ppl still need and use one.

I would like a gamimg NUC .. ie small and low heat production. As long as it has decent gfx (1660ti+) and produces v low heat. low price please
Hes treating his peeps well , the Alvin Stardust clone!

Back