Turning on problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

srdjanSurvive

Whenever I turn off my computer by clicking on the Shut Down button it turns off right but when i turn it on the on button lights up but i dont hear the fan turn on or anything, so then i have to manually turn it off by holding the power button for 10 seconds and then i have to wait for 2 or so minutes to turn it on and it turns on normally.

But a few weeks ago when i tried to do that it seemed like it was normal but the fan started going superspeed and nothing came up on the monitor. I kept trying to restart it and unplug it and everything but it wouldn't go back to normal. Then i emailed gateway and they gave me a long list of thing i could try which half i had already tried. One thing said unplug everything besides the monitor, leave the computer unplugged for 5 minutes then turn on the computer and another said try a different monitor, so i did those two and it worked. So then i just switched back to my normal monitor, plugged everything back in and it was good. I hadn't turned it off since then and last night the computer restarted itself for an update and now it wont turn on again. i tried what had worked before but it wont work anymore.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? The computer is a pretty new computer, only a year and a half old.
I feel maybe i should mention that recently i downgraded from Vista to XP and my video card was no longer installed....if that makes any difference

I know this might sound stupid, but try a different video card. Had a dell with the exact same problem. Luckily the little diagnosis lights in the front panel were right and said to replace the video card. Replaced it and "Jet Engine" cpu fan stopped.

Good luck!

Hiya srdjanSurvive

It could be either a problem with your power supply or your mother board. The not switching on part of your problem is to do with the power supply but the switching on and blank monitor part sounds like a motherboard issue. Power surges tend disrupt motherboards and if this is the case, it might need to be either restarted or replaced. I don't see what else could be causing the problems

Spyder_1386 :)

I tried an old radeon graphics card from one of my old computers and it made no difference.

how would i replace the power supply?

Hey again

You'd have to purchase a new one from a computer store... I don't know what your specs are so i'm not able to tell you what sort of wattage you'll have to get. If i could get a list of the system you're running i might be able to help u in this regard.

the last time i checked my specs all i got was

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Processor: AMD Athalon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs
Memory: 1920 MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

no video card or anything because of the downgrade and i never bothered to reinstall it

im not sure if it makes a difference but when i unplug my computer from the power for 5 minutes then plug it back in instead of it staying off until i press the power button it immediately turns on

EDIT:
on the gateway website when i checked wat part shipped with my computer i found this:

250 GB 7200 RPM SATA II Hard Drive With 8 MB Cache
9-in-1 Media Card Reader
1024 MB 533 MHz Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM
FIC K2BC51 Motherboard with NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Chipset
Lite-On 16X Double-Layer Multi-Format DVD/R/RW/CD-R/W Drive
300 Watt Power Supply uATX/BTX Non-PFC

im not sure if it makes a difference but when i unplug my computer from the power for 5 minutes then plug it back in instead of it staying off until i press the power button it immediately turns on

That sounds definately like a power supply problem. I had the same trouble a couple of months ago. Based on your specs, I'd say you purchase a 350 W - 400 W power supply just to be on the safe side for when you do put in a graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back