TV networks block Google TV, talks with search giant ensue

Emil

Staff

ABC, CBS, and NBC have all denied Google TV access to TV episodes on their own websites, according to The Wall Street Journal. Spokespeople for the three biggest US television networks confirmed that they are blocking the episodes on their websites from playing on Google TV, although both ABC and NBC allow promotional clips to work using the service.

In other words, this is not a coincidence involving an unrecognized browser on an unknown platform. It's deliberate. The networks don't want services like Google TV to cannibalize their cable subscription model too quickly by making Internet video more appealing. Even though they realize it's inevitable, they want to slow the progress down as much as possible so they can keep making money.

Google is taking the route it usually takes when owners won't let them have content for free: it's negotiating and trying to strike a monetary deal with all three networks, according to Reuters. Fox is also considering blocking access to shows on its website, but it has yet to make a final decision. Google's negotiations are necessary if Google TV is going to become something that does more than just broadcast TV channels, content from select programming partners, and basic YouTube videos.

Permalink to story.

I don see how it could "cannibalize" their cable subscription model, when they are over the air networks. If I didnt have cable, I would still have those networks for free.

I think you misread that. They're speaking, (I believe), in terms of reruns from the network home sites. The, "catch up with your favorite series material".

That said, I thought (at one time, or perhaps still), that you had to provide your own antenna for broadcast TV reception, with certain satellite providers.

As I just stated elsewhere, Google seems to have developed the mindset, and the corporate press front, that they think that they're doing you a big favor by invading your privacy, and violating your copyrights.

I trust Google more with my privacy than facebook, and we all use that..At least a lot people use that. In an age where people post everything online about themselves, how concerned about security could they be? anyway, I think Google is doing a good thing with TV. If anyone who supports a free market supports Google by default in this. The networks are trying to keep their part of the market closed to keep making money. I support Google in this internet TV since I don't watch much TV to begin with. I would watch a lot more TV if I had access to it on my computer. Advertisers could still get there message across, but the networks wouldn't make as much money. I dropped my basic cable when ever "concast" said they wanted to raise my rates to $70 a month after my contract was up. Fox news also wants to add another dollar to have access to their channel. I would have dropped my cable anyway at that point because I'm not giving fox any of my damn money.

I agree with guest. Google adding their own service would bring costs down all across the board. As far as the privacy issue...I remain undecided. As far as fox goes, they have popular sports channels that are worth paying for. I do, however, agree that if they $1 onto my cable bill for the fox network I would drop it. I'm not a sports fan anyway.

I trust Google more with my privacy than facebook, and we all use that..At least a lot people use that. In an age where people post everything online about themselves, how concerned about security could they be? anyway, I think Google is doing a good thing with TV. If anyone who supports a free market supports Google by default in this. The networks are trying to keep their part of the market closed to keep making money.
First, We don't all use Facebook, I wouldn't touch it with as ten foot pole.

Second, the networks are entitled to make money, it's called business. They already give vtheir programming away, free of charge on the first pass. Their own websites give the reruns away free also, at least for a certain period of time. So then, why does Goolge even need to be involved with TV. They see the networks making money, and they want to commandeer that money for themselves, like the vampires they are.

If you want OTA programming saved for later, slap a tuner in your PC, and record it with Windows Media Center. Google for instructions how to do that, since you seem to not be able to live without them,.

If Google TV can not get the content providers on board what is the point of the device? Is it worth 300 bucks to just be able to facebook on your TV? They need this thing to integrate with peoples sat/cable providers to find and record or stream what people want to watch when they want to watch it. As a media player it does not do that great of a job. Either that or hope someone comes up with a must have app for it that people can not live without.

If Google TV can not get the content providers on board what is the point of the device? Is it worth 300 bucks to just be able to facebook on your TV?
IMO, it is not worth 5 bucks, to be able to "facebook" anywhere. Has that, (facebook), become a verb now as well?
They need this thing to integrate with peoples sat/cable providers to find and record or stream what people want to watch when they want to watch it. As a media player it does not do that great of a job. Either that or hope someone comes up with a must have app for it that people can not live without.
Won't WMC already do this? Also, the cable providers used to send you a guide book, has that been "greened out" of existence?

("greened out", meaning the cable providers have convinced you that you're doing the world a favor by not using paper, and they're doing the world a favor by pocketing the money).

Have the cable providers convinced everybody that they're doing them a favor by not sending it to them? If the situation becomes dire, you could always resort to your remote control, and/or TIVO. (Or does Google own that too now)?

I don't think Google TV (or any internet TV service for that matter) stands a chance of displacing home cable subscriptions UNTIL it gets one thing right...

Seamless integration of local news and weather.

Otherwise it's just a HTPC in a different package.

amen...im sick and tired of these networks dominating the industry. its bad enough we cant watch the channels we want, just the channel lineup that the cable company chooses..GOD bless free enterprise and competition..levels the playing field...whats the problem with all of it being free? oops. i forgot..the big boys at the top dont make any money that way...

Back