Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest and 200 others sign pro-net neutrality letter on Cyber Monday

Polycount

Staff

Though the fight for net neutrality might be looking grim for supporters of Title II Internet regulations following the release of the FCC's draft plan to roll back such protections, it's far from a lost cause.

Today, many tech companies have banded together to write a firmly-worded letter to FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, arguing in favor of strong net neutrality protections. Signed by over 200 tech companies including the likes of Twitter, Reddit and even Airbnb, the letter uses Cyber Monday as an example of the positive impact a free and open Internet can have on America's economy, for businesses and consumers alike.

According to the letter, Americans spent roughly $3.5 billion online on Cyber Monday last year, reportedly making it the largest online sales day in the country's history. Black Friday's online sales weren't too shabby, either, coming in at about $3 billion last year.

"With strong net neutrality protections, the Internet is an open marketplace where any business can compete, allowing individuals to start companies easily, market their products across the country, and connect with customers anywhere worldwide," the letter reads.

"With strong net neutrality protections, the Internet is an open marketplace where any business can compete..."

The letter also calls the FCC's recently-released plans to roll back Title II regulations "disastrous," while claiming that implementing such plans would "end this open commerce" and "eliminate the protections that keep the Internet free and open" for Americans.

Whether or not this letter will influence the FCC's decision in any way remains to be seen but it's clear that tech companies aren't giving up the fight easily.

Permalink to story.

Look at this face: integrity, honesty, and honor all united in this respected gentleman.
But to be honest, he is just as bad as our whoring politicians selling to highest bidder.

I am sure Pai immediately filed it in circular file next to his desk. Pai could care less what anyone except his buddies at VeriEyeson$$$ says.

Suspicious ... my ISP hiked rates by over 15%... second hike this year... no competition here.
I agree, and for what? They definitely aren't improving their service. I constantly have internet issues and have to call to have them fix it, which they don't. They have no reason to improve service with these policies so of course companies like Comcast would support keeping them in place.

I have two high speed internet providers in my area. Mediacom and South Slope. 3 years ago both had a minimum of 10 down 1 up. Now there bottom plans are both 60 down and 5/10 up. Granted the cost went up 15 bucks a month but at least they have increased there speed.

I can't imagine what will happen if they go through with the changes. It will probably look like a cable package where you pay for the basics then pay to upgrade to visit youtube/facebook at faster speeds, then pay more to access .... at faster speeds, etc etc. I already saw something like this somewhere in Europe. In those amazing places to live (so the politicians say) where the tax rate is 40% or more.

I have two high speed internet providers in my area. Mediacom and South Slope. 3 years ago both had a minimum of 10 down 1 up. Now there bottom plans are both 60 down and 5/10 up. Granted the cost went up 15 bucks a month but at least they have increased there speed.

I can't imagine what will happen if they go through with the changes. It will probably look like a cable package where you pay for the basics then pay to upgrade to visit youtube/facebook at faster speeds, then pay more to access .... at faster speeds, etc etc. I already saw something like this somewhere in Europe. In those amazing places to live (so the politicians say) where the tax rate is 40% or more.
Knowing how scummy they are, they will probably serve up web sites a la cart where each web site you want to visit costs extra on top of their monthly bill. Then, when you call them up to complain, their response will probably be along the lines of WTF? You have internet access, you mean you want to visit web sites, too?

Literally, I have complained to TWC about crappy service, and then the rep on the line asks me if I want to buy more service! WTF?

I really do not see why some cannot understand the danger in this. Any web site might be banned for any reason, even if that web site is not doing anything illegal, as long as the ISP posts that the web site is banned in their policy statement. It is amazing that anyone would think that this is going to spur innovation. More likely, it will spur higher rates for internet service or content without any improvements in speed. As I see it, it is amazing just how long it is taking ISPs to increase their base speeds when many of them have the infrastructure already in place to do so.

Knowing how scummy they are, they will probably serve up web sites a la cart where each web site you want to visit costs extra on top of their monthly bill. Then, when you call them up to complain, their response will probably be along the lines of WTF? You have internet access, you mean you want to visit web sites, too?

Literally, I have complained to TWC about crappy service, and then the rep on the line asks me if I want to buy more service! WTF?

I really do not see why some cannot understand the danger in this. Any web site might be banned for any reason, even if that web site is not doing anything illegal, as long as the ISP posts that the web site is banned in their policy statement. It is amazing that anyone would think that this is going to spur innovation. More likely, it will spur higher rates for internet service or content without any improvements in speed. As I see it, it is amazing just how long it is taking ISPs to increase their base speeds when many of them have the infrastructure already in place to do so.

I can see companies trying to charge more "a la carte" style like you said. And I wish it would be like the cellular industry where 1 or 2 companies could change everything. But since there is so many companies spread all over the place Ajitt Pai is putting the ball of **** to the top of the hill because his masters told him to. And on the other side of the hill is all the consumers in America. I feel sorry for anyone that has Comcast/TWC/Verizon/At&t those companies will be the first ones that bend there consumers over and rape the **** out of them. Hopefully all those companies there customers abandon quickly and move to any competitor that is available. Since profit margins shrinking and bad press is the only thing that can cause companies to change.

Take EA losing 3 billion in value so quickly just from one game in battlefront 2. And that doesn't count the garbage of mass effect andromeda.

Back