Twitter wants everyone to have a blue verification tick

By midian182 ยท 4 replies
Mar 9, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. If, for whatever reason, you’ve long coveted a blue verification tick for your Twitter account but aren’t considered high-profile enough to warrant one, good news: the company may expand the program to make them available to everyone.

In a Periscope livestream yesterday, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey revealed that the platform was working on ways of allowing all users to become verified. “The intention is to open verification to everyone,” he said. “And to do it in a way that’s scalable, where [Twitter] is not in the way and people can verify more facts about themselves and we don’t have to be the judge or imply any bias on our part.”

The blue checkmark was originally introduced in 2009 as a way of confirming that famous accounts, such as those of actors and other celebrities, were authentic and not parody/fake profiles. Twitter started allowing anyone to apply for verification in 2016, but it was up to the user to provide the reasons why they needed one, and few ‘regular’ people received the mark. Now, the blue tick is seen as a symbol of credibility, rather than confirmation of identity.

“The main problem is, we use [the checkmark] to mean identity,” said Twitter director of product, David Gasca. “But in user research [...] users think of it as credibility, [that] Twitter stands behind this person and what they’re saying is great and authentic, which is not what we meant.”

If everyone does get verified, it should mean that real users become easily identifiable while unverified trolls and bot accounts stand out more. Exactly how the verification process would work is unclear, though it could involve connecting with Google or Facebook accounts, or providing some form of official ID.

Speaking to The Verge, Dorsey said that both identity and anonymity are important parts of Twitter, and he wants the platform to be a safe space for people to speak their minds. It will probably be a while before all real users get a checkmark, however, as Dorsey said the priority is verification around candidates in the 2020 US election.

Permalink to story.

2. seeprime

seeprime TS Maniac Posts: 200   +171

Twitter is even more annoying than Facebook. I belong to each, but avoid Twitter as I see it, is an entertainment platform, where Trump posts his latest humorous comments. I don't really care what relative X had for lunch, or what airport they're at now. Both platforms have become more annoying these days than useful, IMO.

H3llion and psycros like this.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 11,791   +1,251

An Internet verified ID is a V E R Y difficult problem to resolve - - it's been around since the beginning of Email and until we do something like a DNS registration of user-ids, don't hold your breath.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 2,058   +1,520

The answer is something I've promoted for a decade now: verified ONLINE identities (VOD). In short, it would be a single online "pen name" that every service knows you by. Ideally there would be a central registry to sign up which all services like social media, message boards and so on would acknowledge and accept login tokens from. It would be like "log in with Facebook/Google" except an independent third party would store all the actual user data. The only thing you'd need to sign up was an email address and that would never be shared with participants in the VOD System. This protects users in case the VOD system itself were hacked. Your behavior can still be tracked by participants so they can still market the bejesus out of you, and they can still moderate users on their own services..but they wouldn't know your real identity. IPs could still be tracked although that's becoming fairly trivial to circumvent. The fact is that any threat some anonymous goon presents by posting hate speech or whatever online is greatly eclipsed by the corporate government threats to our safety. The longer an individual used a VOD the more attached they would become to it. They would moderate their own behavior in fear of getting that VOD blacklisted from all the major online networks. We've reached the point where I think this an absolutely essential upgrade for the Internet, and I know I'm not alone. If I had the money I would patent this idea because it WILL be a reality soon.

5. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,451   +316

Blockchain

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...