Two servers can't see each other

i have 2 servers which are running server 2003 r2 with sp2 enterprise addition. I had to restore them to a DRP enviroment so we can run some tests. they are linked into a hub and nothing else and i have set up their respective network properties correctly and given them their exact network settings as the live servers. the 2 servers cant see each other though. both machines can ping themselves but not the other one. i have tried to delete the driver in device manager and it automatically reinstalled them. i need them to see each other as this project is pretty urgent.... any help would be appreciated

sounds like you have isolated them from all other networks and just have
Code:
server#1===HUB===server#2
A hub has no DHCP service, so both systems need all static settings
  • If systemA has ipaddress x.x.x.10 and
    sysB has x.x.x.20,
    then the gateway on A is the B address and conversely
  • you will NOT be able to access the other machine using names; (there's no dns) so
    everything will need IPaddresses = = = unless
  • you add entries into \windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS;
    systemAname x.x.x.10
    systemBname x.x.x.20
    then use net stop "dns client"
    net start "dns client"​

ok well i already have assigned them static addresses but the same as the live servers. obviously the gateway cant be found because its not attached..i tried to change the gateway to the each others ip address and then ran the ip and nothing. this is so frustrating because i got both pc's to see each other and work fine but as soon as i did the restore then it didnt work. any further suggestions?

See do you have a copy of the settings use prior to the restore. Something you have missed in the settings is not the same or has changed. Are they on the network through a domain or just a simple connection using static IP, default gateway or network mask. Check the speed link or frame. Blow out the nic settings an redo them? Or uninstall the drivers on both. Reboot the servers and let the SErver OS rebuild them.

i copied the system state so it backed up the settings and everything. they are on a domain but as i said they are together on a hub with static ip's that i assigned but the same as the live servers so everything would work. the 1 is our exchange server and the other is our SQL server. i have uninstalled both drivers and they are running at 1Gbps and yes i already rebooted them

with duplicated IP addresses, these two systems must be isolated from the rest of your network - -
surely you knew that.

Your IP prefix 10.xx
Something you changed or got changed. Doesn't sound like you have backup the settings and now your stuck. Rebooting them won't help you as you can see. Did you setup these up yourself or did someone else do them?

well the servers are isolated from the entire network. the hub has no connectivity into the network at all. just power into the wall. and i did not set them up so i really have no idea what to do from here. its so annoying......

Back