Two strange problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

troxartas

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to search the previous boards for a possible solution. I'll try to be as clear as possible with my problem. I have a cable connection through comcast. When the computer shuts down after a specific period of time (after the screensaver runs for a little while) and goes into hibernation mode, when I move the mouse and bring it back, I cannot reconnect to the internet. I've tried all the usual stuff, unplugging the cable modem, the ethernet cable, even the cable itself, and nothing. I have to restart the whole system. Formerly, I could put the modem on hold and then when I brought the computer out of hibernation, i'd take the hold off and I'd be able to get back on. Strange, I know. Any ideas?
My second problem is with the new Firefox, and I can't find a solution on the net anywhere. Ever since I upgraded to the new version, when I close my firefox window and then try to open it later, all of my bookmarks, option settings and everything else is gone. Once again, only after a restart of the system will they come back.
I apologize for the length of this post, but I'm desperate for a solution! Thank you all.

When the computer shuts down after a specific period of time (after the screensaver runs for a little while) and goes into hibernation mode, when I move the mouse and bring it back, I cannot reconnect to the internet. I've tried all the usual stuff, unplugging the cable modem, the ethernet cable, even the cable itself, and nothing. I have to restart the whole system.
This is a symptom for the update of the router firmware AND the Ethernet driver.
The issue is your system is not responding correctly to a /release /renew cycle
and is unable to find the DHCP service.

My second problem is with the new Firefox, and I can't find a solution on the net anywhere. Ever since I upgraded to the new version, when I close my firefox window and then try to open it later, all of my bookmarks, option settings and everything else is gone. Once again, only after a restart of the system will they come back
FF 3.x has issues; suggest you regress to 2.x

You need the
make/model number of the router and
the name / version of the ethernet adaptor.

then go online and google 'firmware make/model number'
and again 'driver update name / version'

On the ethernet device, use your Device Manager to find the description

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back