Two-thirds of Google queries are zero-click searches, ending without a click on any result

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Google is arguably one of the most recognizable Internet-related brands in the world. In fact, the Mountain View-based tech giant’s name itself has become a verb to describe the act of searching for information on the Internet. But have you ever wondered just how many searches end as quickly as they begin?

According to data from SimilarWeb, nearly 65 percent of Google searches end without the user clicking on a link in the results. Rand Fishkin with SparkToro believes the figure might even be undercounting some mobile results and nearly all voice searches. Factoring in those results, Fishkin said it is probable that more than two-thirds of all Google searches are “zero-click searches.”

SimilarWeb’s data consisted of around 5.1 trillion Google searches conducted worldwide between January 2020 and December 2020. Of those, 33.59 percent resulted in clicks on organic search results while 1.59 percent were clicks on paid search results.

Data also revealed that zero-click searches are far more common on mobile devices than desktops, at 77.22 percent versus just 50.75 percent.

To put the figures into perspective, we turn to StatCounter. The web analytics firm notes that in February 2021, Google’s worldwide search engine market share sat at 92.05 percent. Bing, the next closest competitor, captured just 2.69 percent of the market during the same period while Yahoo claimed only 1.47 percent.

In the US, Google’s search engine market share reached 88.1 percent last month.

Masthead courtesy Natee Meepian

Permalink to story.

Considering that for 8 hours of the day all I need from Google is the address information for auto shops or business locations, there's no need for a click through for the majority of my searches.

Non work related searches almost always result in a click through, as I'm usually trying to find a specific file/program/mod or, website and don't know the proper URL.

Ive always used google well since the beginning as far as I can remember. As it became popular, the term just google it rose and is still used today.

I have heard and used other searches but if it works why change.
Never really cared for Bing which came well after Google. While yahoo is still popular, its far from its heydays.
I have no issues with Google search so until there is something better, no reason to mess with a good thing.

It's because Google now displays most information already in the search results, from translations and dictionary entries through Wikipedia entries to exchange rates, and weather info. Since last year it also displays extended snippets from the pages on the hit list. This heavily reduces traffic to site with the actual content and keeps users within Google.

I will often type something into Google just to get the correct spelling.

I do a lot of image searches too. I doubt those are counted either.

Ask Alexa something get something totally random or I don't know that one.
Ask Google and it will tell you straight away.

Back