Two-year-old flatscreen monitor problems

tepeco

It's a Gateway model LP2207 and it has a strange problem. On bootup this morning, the monitor did not display anything at all. Just black. I rebooted, then when that didn't work, I unplugged the monitor and plugged in another one. It came on and I was able to work with it all day. At end of day, I tried the gateway again. Nothing.

Here's the strange part. When turned on, the gateway logo appears for a few seconds, indicating to me, the backlight (or whatever supplies the light for the thing, is working. But after that, nothing happens.

I would think that if the light source was out, it would not show the logo!!
Oh, and yes, I hooked it up to 3 other computers with the same result. Any ideas?

Solution found, if anyone is interested. Seems the problem is not the light source. The logo flashes when turned on but during that initialization period, a safety net kicks in and stops the monitor from continuing the boot process within it's own circuitry. That reaction is due to some unknown problem within. The result is an apparent useless monitor. Solution is to scrap the monitor as cost of repair is likely to surpass the cost of a new one.

I expected that but didn't want to act on it until I got confirmation from good sources. I might add that Gateway support did not contribute to this solution.

Back