Ubisoft celebrates 30th anniversary with free games

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In celebration of its 30th anniversary, Ubisoft will be giving away a new game each month starting this month and running through December. The promotion started last week but got lost in all the E3 news and is just now making the rounds on major publications. In case you missed it, here’s everything you need to know.

This month’s free game is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. To secure your copy, you’ll simply need to download and install (assuming you don’t already have it) Uplay, Ubisoft’s digital distribution platform. It’s that simple.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is a third-person action-adventure puzzle-platformer that launched in March 2003 for the Xbox, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2 and Windows PC. As tech2 notes, it’s most certainly an old game but it’s among the best and most loved franchises around so there will certainly be some people that’ll take advantage of the offer. Plus, free game!

Note that this is a full digital download, not a trial or a game that’ll restrict access after so long.

Although the next six games remain a mystery at this time, they will all be titles previously released by Ubisoft.

What games would you like to see Ubisoft release for free? Here’s to hoping that the original Far Cry will be among the half dozen freebies.

Permalink to story.

You know, regardless of what they release, it's really and truly a "class act". Wouldn't it be nice if more game companies shows a little sliver of appreciation to their fans and loyal clients? Ubisoft has always created some pretty good games, even the ones that sort of flopped were well made. I tip my had to them and hope they start a great new tradition among the game makers!

You know, regardless of what they release, it's really and truly a "class act". Wouldn't it be nice if more game companies shows a little sliver of appreciation to their fans and loyal clients? Ubisoft has always created some pretty good games, even the ones that sort of flopped were well made. I tip my had to them and hope they start a great new tradition among the game makers!
there are plenty of games I got for free from multiple places (steam, origin, gog, etc)

Ubisoft have so horribly tainted my opinion of them with Uplay that I see the first as a cynical attempt of manipulation in order to promote their Godawful distribution platform rather than a generous act.

Ubisoft have so horribly tainted my opinion of them with Uplay that I see the first as a cynical attempt of manipulation in order to promote their Godawful distribution platform rather than a generous act.
I wish I could disagree with you, and tell you about my wonderful Uplay experiences. But I cannot, and any positive words on my experiences would be a lie. I've become so frustrated with Uplay that they could offer me current triple A titles such as The Division, Assassin's Creed, or Watch Dogs and I'd still not be bothered with a download. Their games are locked down behind an unreliable service to the point where "owning" a game copy has lost all of it's meaning.

I got a PS2 just to play console specific games when I sold my Cube (God Of War, Tekken, Gran Turismo 4, etc), Warrior Within was a pleasant surprise. (Not sure if it was specific to the PS2 at that time or at all)

I don't quite understand all the hate for other platforms like uPlay and Origin. Sure they don't do as good a job as providing service as Steam but I've never had the thought that they are absolutely horrid and unusable. Doesn't Origin give free games every week? The only real problem with Ubi I have is that lots of their games have the same game mechanics. Oh and the consistency of downgrades. I just disable the in-game overlay and I have no issues with crashes or stutters.

I don't quite understand all the hate for other platforms like uPlay and Origin.

Because they were never created to be a solution to something Steam doesn't do right, or to provide improved service, or reward loyal customers. They were created purely to maximize profits by denying Valve a slice of the distribution pie, rather than increase customer satisfaction. Then they bound their own exclusives to their mediocre platforms to try a leverage their loyal customers. Which is what PC has never been about.

You want exclusives you buy a console. You put that childish **** behind you when you join the big boys club and buy your PC from any vendor. Until Ubi, EA, MS, etc. tried to fracture the market to line their own pockets.

Greed. We hate them for their greed.

Valve does distribution, and they do it with technical ability. Have you ever heard of Steam buckling under day-1 network load?

Opionions on Blizzard anyone? Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't Valve sell a lot of Ubi titles, I believe uPlay is required still. Without other services Valve would have a complete monopoly on PC gaming. Just be happy Valve hasn't started charging users to use their online service like Microsoft and Sony did with the consoles, thats the sole reason I even built a PC. Anything else was perk. Fps, details, res etc.

I don't quite understand all the hate for other platforms like uPlay and Origin.
I've had games magically disappear from my Origin library, but thankfully I was able to replace the copies I lost through Humble Bundle for next to nothing.

Because they were never created to be a solution to something Steam doesn't do right, or to provide improved service, or reward loyal customers. They were created purely to maximize profits by denying Valve a slice of the distribution pie, rather than increase customer satisfaction. Then they bound their own exclusives to their mediocre platforms to try a leverage their loyal customers. Which is what PC has never been about.

You want exclusives you buy a console. You put that childish **** behind you when you join the big boys club and buy your PC from any vendor. Until Ubi, EA, MS, etc. tried to fracture the market to line their own pockets.

Greed. We hate them for their greed.

Valve does distribution, and they do it with technical ability. Have you ever heard of Steam buckling under day-1 network load?

You can not like Origin or Uplay all you want, but your 'exclusive' argument is nonsensical.
You want Uncharted, but own a Xbox One? You'll need to buy a whole new piece of hardware and subscribe to yet another yearly online service to play it online.
You want the newest Battlefield, but already have steam installed? No problem, just install origin (no additional hardware+online service purchase).
Do you get how those are two completely different scenarios that do not correlate?

Yes, companies want to earn money and will find ways to best earn said money. Why does everyone hate this concept? Its called a free market and in one you can sell your goods however you please as long as you're not breaking any laws.

Would I prefer all my games were on Steam? Yes, but I'm a rational adult who is not going to get all butt-hurt over having to install another client. Do I hate how Ubi games purchased on steam still make you install/launch Uplay in order to play them? Most definitely, but all that did was make me decide to just purchase the games directly in Uplay moving forward. Yes, Steam has deals often on Ubi games making them cheaper to buy through Steam. When this happens, just go to one of the bazillion key sites out there and you'll probably get a direct Uplay key for much cheaper anyways.

Steam not buckling under load; you're obviously clueless. Steam has buckled many of times over the years during their large winter and/or summer sales.

I've purchased numerous high profile games from Origin Uplay on or before day 1 and they've all downloaded and installed just fine day 1. Server issues when attempting to play online are completely different and can happen just the same with a game from steam since most online servers are not ran by Valve, but the game publisher or private servers.

Lastly, while I believe Steam is the best overall client, it has become bloated over the years. When it comes to launching from a cold start, steam is almost dead last these days. Uplay on the other hand actually launches faster than any other client for me (and others I know). In order of launch speed, like I said Steam is lacking (Uplay>Origin>Steam>GOG Galaxy).

Not rewarding loyal customers?!?!?!?! EA give away a free game every month or so. Let me repeat that, a FREE game. Yes, its not always the best game, but sometimes they've been pretty good ones and I'm not going to complain about free stuff. Here we are now in the thread where Ubisoft is giving away FREE games. I've had Steam for years, since its inception. I don't recall them giving me nearly as many free games over all those 10+ years as EA has in the last year alone.

Last edited:
You can not like Origin or Uplay all you want, but your 'exclusive' argument is nonsensical.
You want Uncharted, but own a Xbox One? You'll need to buy a whole new piece of hardware and subscribe to yet another yearly online service to play it online.
You want the newest Battlefield, but already have steam installed? No problem, just install origin (no additional hardware+online service purchase).
Do you get how those are two completely different scenarios that do not correlate?

You missed my point. You want to play Mass Effect 3? You MUST install Uplay. It is exclusive to their distribution platform. Just because it's tied a software platform instead of a hardware platform doesn't make it fit the definition of "exclusive" any less.

Yes, companies want to earn money and will find ways to best earn said money. Why does everyone hate this concept? Its called a free market and in one you can sell your goods however you please as long as you're not breaking any laws.

Aye, and it's not illegal to be a ****, but it doesn't mean people can't hate you for it. I've no problem with any company attempting to make money in any way they see fit. I don't have to like it either any more than I like the telecomm's monopolistic behavior as a way to gouge money because they can.

Would I prefer all my games were on Steam? Yes, but I'm a rational adult who is not going to get all butt-hurt over having to install another client. Do I hate how Ubi games purchased on steam still make you install/launch Uplay in order to play them? Most definitely, but all that did was make me decide to just purchase the games directly in Uplay moving forward.

I'm a hater if I disagree with their scrupulous capitalistic behavior, and I'm butt-hurt if a choose with my wallet not to support them? Interesting though, it made me do the opposite and tend to avoid their games.

Steam not buckling under load; you're obviously clueless. Steam has buckled many of times over the years during their large winter and/or summer sales.

EA's Simcity release was such a debacle it made the major international news sites. You have to screw up bad in the gaming industry to make mainstream news. I simply never recall Steam ever making the BBC in a negative light.

<snip>...
Lastly, while I believe Steam is the best overall client, it has become bloated over the years. When it comes to launching from a cold start, steam is almost dead last these days. Uplay on the other hand actually launches faster than any other client for me (and others I know). In order of launch speed, like I said Steam is lacking (Uplay>Origin>Steam>GOG Galaxy).

I will concur here. It is a bit bloaty. However waiting 10s or 6s for my client to load never bothered me, but I grew up in the DOS era when things took minutes to load off floppy, 10x CD, and 5400RPM IDE disks.

edit: you young whippersnappers with your DSL, and your SSDs, and your multi-cores! *cane shake*

Not rewarding loyal customers?!?!?!?! EA give away a free game every month or so. Let me repeat that, a FREE game. Yes, its not always the best game, but sometimes they've been pretty good ones and I'm not going to complain about free stuff. Here we are now in the thread where Ubisoft is giving away FREE games. I've had Steam for years, since its inception. I don't recall them giving me nearly as many free games over all those 10+ years as EA has in the last year alone.

I think you missed another subtle distinction. I never said Ubi didn't/don't reward customers, I said they didn't create Uplay to reward customers. It's not that they were unhappy with the experience their customers were having with Steam, they just wanted their money, playing habits, and used their games to leverage their own exclusive software platform in order to do so.

If they hadn't tried to leverage their games then we wouldn't be having this argument.

Say your car breaks down. How is it any different than the only local mechanic leveraging his exclusivity/your need to upsell a part? Is he perfectly within his right to charge you extra for that part you need? Yes. Is he a scumbag for exploiting your need for extra profit? Completely.

Say your car breaks down. How is it any different than the only local mechanic leveraging his exclusivity/your need to upsell a part? Is he perfectly within his right to charge you extra for that part you need? Yes. Is he a scumbag for exploiting your need for extra profit? Completely.

Its like before uPlay and GOG and the others came around Valve was the ONLY mechanic. I'm not entirely sure about this past part but wouldn't Valve be doing the same exact thing as the other services by locking valve exclusives to steam?

Well I signed up- what a mess about. Then after I was finished a search for the game - Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - and it finds nothing. Nor does Prince of Persia or Sands of Time. How do you actually find then download the game?

Its like before uPlay and GOG and the others came around Valve was the ONLY mechanic. I'm not entirely sure about this past part but wouldn't Valve be doing the same exact thing as the other services by locking valve exclusives to steam?

Ah. That is a very valid point. It's been so long since Valve released a game that I'd care to play (Portal 2) I'd almost forgotten they were once a software development firm rather than a distribution platform.

My only argument there would be that it's not really leveraging gamers when most gamers already use your product anyway. No more than Microsoft can leverage you to use windows applications when you're already running Windows. But it's a weak, exceptional condition as they can only leverage the minority that don't use their platform rather than a solid counter argument.

I cede that point.

Steam took over 40 seconds to launch from an SSD. GOG took less than 5. I'd use GOG only if I could but I open steam mainly to say hi to a few friends and family. Wish I could move games that are compatible from steam to GOG. I also got uPlay opened and redeemed Prince of Persia in less time that it tkes steam to load. After you redeem it on the website it should be in your library automatically.

Edit: I guess it was just that instance when I was writing this that Steam took 40 seconds. Every other time has been less than 10.

Last edited:
You missed my point. You want to play Mass Effect 3? You MUST install Uplay. It is exclusive to their distribution platform. Just because it's tied a software platform instead of a hardware platform doesn't make it fit the definition of "exclusive" any less.
Jebus, you're so upset over this you can't even keep it straight, Mass Effect 3 is on Origin. Anyways....yes, its not that exclusive when all you have to do is install a client on the very same machine. Exclusive in the way you originally stated, does not fit here. You even used the consoles as an example, a very bad one at that. Again, you're crying over a free client. Let me repeat that, FREE CLIENT.

Aye, and it's not illegal to be a ****, but it doesn't mean people can't hate you for it. I've no problem with any company attempting to make money in any way they see fit. I don't have to like it either any more than I like the telecomm's monopolistic behavior as a way to gouge money because they can.
You clearly do have a problem with them attempting to make money their way, or else we wouldn't be having this discussion, would we?
You have a nasty habit of comparing apples to oranges. Please explain how Ubisoft/EA are gouging you by selling their games to people, directly? I'm all ears....if the game is the same exact price on Steam as it is on Uplay, then its a moot point and your hate is entirely misplaced/misguided.
Its not the same as how an area might only have one cable provider and thus they charge whatever they want. Ubisoft/EA are still charging the industry standard!

I'm a hater if I disagree with their scrupulous capitalistic behavior, and I'm butt-hurt if a choose with my wallet not to support them? Interesting though, it made me do the opposite and tend to avoid their games.
You're allowed to be a hater all you want, but I wholeheartedly consider this hate to rather awkward considering the topic at hand. As for butt-hurt, that was a general statement aimed at most gamers these days. Getting your panties in a twist over a client is asinine and childish at best. I'd hate to see how worked up you get over real problems in life.

EA's Simcity release was such a debacle it made the major international news sites. You have to screw up bad in the gaming industry to make mainstream news. I simply never recall Steam ever making the BBC in a negative light.
Game servers buckling is not the same as the client buckling; as I already pointed out, thats not a client issue and can happen regardless of which client you bought a game from. I feel like you missed the point here, which client has (more than once) buckled under heavy load? Steam; so you might want to remove your rose tinted glasses.

I think you missed another subtle distinction. I never said Ubi didn't/don't reward customers, I said they didn't create Uplay to reward customers. It's not that they were unhappy with the experience their customers were having with Steam, they just wanted their money, playing habits, and used their games to leverage their own exclusive software platform in order to do so.
Err, UPlay (the service) actually was created to reward customers. Good grief, if you weren't hating for absolutely no reason you might know this. Customers play games->customers earn rewards from playing games->customers can use those rewards towards other games. That's the very definition of being created to reward customers....

Uplay points and rewards existed years, YEARS, before the PC distribution client app. Not only that, but they are completely platform independent. You can earn these points anywhere (every console, and PC's) and regardless of where you bought the game.

Fine, hate their distribution client. However, at least know the facts of where Uplay came from.

Good gravy......another poor analogy. Most all games are $59.99 at release in the US. If the same exact game is $59.99 on Steam and $59.99 on Uplay, how exactly is one leveraging their exclusivity over the other? Lets use EA here for a better example. At release, Mass Effect/Battlefield/Need4Speed cost the same on Origin (where its 'exclusive') as it would anywhere else ($59.99).

I have one last thing to say. Games on the PC have had some ridiculous DRM schemes over the years. You should know if you've been around since them DOS days (as I have too). I would much rather be 'exclusively' locked to Origin or Uplay than have to still deal with the likes of StarForce/Securom/SafeDisc/Laserlock/etc which sometimes blocked legit copies from working.

Indeed, but basic facts like this are completely ignored by blind loyalists. They'll also conveniently ignore that there have been non-valve games that were also locked to steam. IIRC, Fallout 3 was one of those. It didn't matter if you bought the physical disc, you had to register for a steam account. I believe the only way around steam was to buy it through GFWL, but who in their right mind did that.

Last edited:
Back