Ubisoft Montreal office involved in fake bomb threat

David Matthews

Staff member
What just happened? Originally reported as a hostage situation, Ubisoft's Montreal headquarters seemed to be a victim of a bomb threat. A 911 call was made with the caller threatening to blow up the HQ building unless a $2 million ransom was paid. However, an investigation by the city's police has concluded there is no credible threat.

Ubisoft Montreal was involved in a police operation according to Canadian news sources. Various news outlets originally reported the incident as a hostage situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The building was evacuated though no threat was ultimately identified.

Canadian news outlet TVA Nouvelles reported that a 911 call was made around 1pm with the caller threatening to blow up the building unless a $2+ million ransom was paid. The police dispatched the SPVM (the Canadian equivalent of a SWAT team) to investigate the bomb threat. However, the investigation yielded no actual threat to Ubisoft or the surrounding Mile-End neighborhood.

Hyperscape community developer, Eric Pope, tweeted (now deleted) that he saw Ubisoft employees evacuating to the roof. Some Ubisoft employees verified that their teams were safe while others were stuck in the building. Other employees were evacuated into a bus by the police.

Ubisoft issued a statement to GameSpot stating: "We are aware of the situation and working with local authorities." While this seems likely to be a hoax, we'll update this story if the situation develops further.

Permalink to story.

I'm guessing that as this Pandemic continues and so many people are out of work, we will continue to see more and more desperate attempts to get money. I'm not in favor of Govt. handouts but this seems to be a legitimate reason to provide for those that can't work at home and don't have savings to pay their way out of it. I'm certainly not going to suggest "tax the wealthy" but if those same people understand that without the little people they won't continue their wealth forever and at least financially support the many private organizations that are giving away food. This and many other countries did rise to greatness by being "me first" type nations and now is the time for us to continue to pull together. And yes, I do contribute monthly to one of our local organizations. I'm certainly not wealthy, but I'm doing what I can rather than just keeping it for the next video game ......

It was apparently someone that was upset that their Assassin's Creed Valhalla wouldn't reach 60fps @ 4K on their RTX 3090.

I'm guessing that as this Pandemic continues and so many people are out of work, we will continue to see more and more desperate attempts to get money. I'm not in favor of Govt. handouts but this seems to be a legitimate reason to provide for those that can't work at home and don't have savings to pay their way out of it. I'm certainly not going to suggest "tax the wealthy" but if those same people understand that without the little people they won't continue their wealth forever and at least financially support the many private organizations that are giving away food. This and many other countries did rise to greatness by being "me first" type nations and now is the time for us to continue to pull together. And yes, I do contribute monthly to one of our local organizations. I'm certainly not wealthy, but I'm doing what I can rather than just keeping it for the next video game ......
Threatening human lives is never legitimate. That's just sick.

Threatening human lives is never legitimate. That's just sick.
Mental disease is running rampant throughout the population as the shutdowns continue in various states of severity. Human being are inherently social creatures, being locked away, suspicious of neighbors, jumping at shadows and ghosts, terrified of an invisible enemy and allowing it to separate families, these things are going to obliterate the minds of healthy people.

Most people I know are feeling it in various ways, whether it be struggling to get up in the morning, lack of interest in hobbies, increased stress, relationship breakdowns, depression, anxiety, ece. Even if they are well balanced healthy people, they are showing signs of creeping mental problems as time goes on. Stuff like this is going to become more common the longer lockdowns continue, especially as we move into winter and typical seasonal depression sets in on top of all this.

There needs to be much larger movements to provide large scale mental healthcare to the masses.

Tis is just a slightly different take on "sweatting", and we have to recognize these outbursts are propagated by the sickest and most addicted,segment of the gaming community.

Maybe it's time to form a support group. Let's call it "Gameanon".

The only trouble with that is, your "sponsor", is liable to be in his mother's basement with a diaper on, so he doesn't have to leave the game.

This really shook me up a bit because Montreal is my home town and I know EXACTLY where the Ubisoft office is, hell, I've filled up at that PetroCan before.

I don't know WTH is wrong with people because I'm not aware of Ubisoft Montreal pissing anyone off unless the perpetrator is a former employee. Hell, they develop two of the best gaming franchises in history (Far Cry & Assassin's Creed).

Rue St.-Laurent and rue St.-Viateur are both really famous streets in Montreal. Often, rue St.-Laurent is referred to as "The Main" and St.-Viateur was made famous by St.-Viateur Bagels.

Note: TVA Nouvelles is the just the French version of CTV News.

Mental disease is running rampant throughout the population as the shutdowns continue in various states of severity. Human being are inherently social creatures, being locked away, suspicious of neighbors, jumping at shadows and ghosts, terrified of an invisible enemy and allowing it to separate families, these things are going to obliterate the minds of healthy people.

Most people I know are feeling it in various ways, whether it be struggling to get up in the morning, lack of interest in hobbies, increased stress, relationship breakdowns, depression, anxiety, ece. Even if they are well balanced healthy people, they are showing signs of creeping mental problems as time goes on. Stuff like this is going to become more common the longer lockdowns continue, especially as we move into winter and typical seasonal depression sets in on top of all this.

There needs to be much larger movements to provide large scale mental healthcare to the masses.
I've taken to playing massive epic titles like Dragon Age: Inquisition that take well over a month to play. I got Godfall for free but it's not really all that great. Now, I'm waiting with baited breath for Far Cry 6. I've found that losing myself in a very involved RPG can combat boredom very well.

The pandemic is one of the biggest reasons that I upgraded my PC to improve gaming performance.

Last edited:
Could have been a R&D for the next Rainbow Six game !

All kidding aside this is crazy thing todo. Glad it was fake

Back