Ubuntu Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Dragon

I cannot get ubuntu to boot from CD. I know the CD works because I used it before on an older machine.

I now have a laptop and desktop both already running vista.

Ubuntu will start the to boot. I select the keyboard and language ok. Then after the hardware scan it fails because it 'Cannot copy files from CD-Rom'

I tried updating the firmware for the Drives and still no go. I tried every command I could thing of to bypass the files that are making it stick.

Any ideas?

Might just not work with your hardware, I've had issues with "Freespire" installing on mine, yet, "Ubuntu" and "SimplyMEPIS" install fine. Freespire would hang at a black screen with a blinking cursor. I tried 2-3 times with the same results.

Yeah, pretty odd I suppose for it to not be working on either PC. I'd try redownloading and reburning it.

Do you have any USB devices plugged in? I've read of people experiencing issues with those being detected and halting the detection/loading process.

It is very possible though that it just won't work. Ubuntu has done a good job with getting their stuff to boot on an incredible range of hardware, but recently I've tried to boot from the cd on 2 different systems, both failures. Meanwhile other linux distros would boot.

I hate to point people away from TS, but the ubuntu forums are probably much better suited for troubleshooting specifics on this if you absolutely must get it to run.

Not a must I have Vista booted fine on both machines. I just figured I would throw it out there, as it was really frustrating me. Especially since I used this exact CD before and it worked without problem.

The only thing I could think of, like you say, is a hardware issue, or maybe one of the files became corrupt.

Also what I am wondering is if Vista has anything to do with it, though many people have booted with Vista already installed.

Blind Dragon said:
'Cannot copy files from CD-Rom'
Try burning the disc again at a much slower speed and when you boot from it the first time run an integrity check on the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back