Uh Oh... Bye bye computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhMehGoBbqSauce

So.. I got some new RAM. [256] I gave it to my cousin..[15 Y/O] and he installed it for me. Than he left. >O I turned on my computer, And the green light on the power button turned on, Keyboard light flashed, Mouse turned red[Wireless] Than... The power button turned of, And the num lock light wasn't on at all, Nor was the mouse light on. Nothing shows up on the monitor.. I called my cousin, And I asked him what he did. He said he put in the ram when the computer was ON!!! >OOOO That fag.

Computer Statics?:

Hp pavilion 1955

512 MB ram

38 GB Hard disk space.

I don't know about the G.HZ.

Really need my computer fixxed, I have important pictures/Documents on it. D: Anything needs to be replaced? Should I try a new monitor? Suggestions Plox?

KThxBai?! <3

Likely fried the RAM and or Motherboard. You can try to put the old RAM back in and see if it will boot then.

Your hard drive is fine though, so at worst case you can take that and put it in another computer or an external enclosure to get the data off of it.

Well.. Here's the bad thing.. I put in some old ram [ 512 ] MB still doesn't work... When I take the ram out, I get no beeping error! I bet he scratched some of the mother board, Or a wire. This is really shetty.

OhMehGoBbqSauce said:
This is really shetty.
No, what's really "shetty" is being able to choose your friends, but not being able to choose your family. Sorry, I couldn't resist that. I sympathize completely, but I lack a considerable amount of self control.

I guess you should try to reset the CMOS before you write the machine off completely. I doubt if that would help though.

I seriously doubt that your motherboard would have survived that ordeal. I'm pretty darn sure it's gone, most other people would be pretty darn sure too. I hope that your cousin has money, cause I'd totally shake him dry of it! :p

I checked the mother board, Scratch free! I don't know what's wrong with it than. =/ What could of gone wrong?
I called him, I asked him every thing. This is what he said

" I turned on the computer, It was at the choose os part " Windows xp "
" Windows 2000 " than I put in the ram, The screen went black, Computer was still on... Than I unplugged the computer plugged it back in, Than I pressed the power, Nothing happend. Than I turned it off and left "

Just what he said :D

Everyone has told you, the motherboard is toast, you can't swap RAM when it is on. This has absolutely nothing to do with any scratches, or bad hard drives. It has to do entirely with killing a motherboard by removing and installing RAM while it is running.

It doesn't really matter if there are scratches, putting in the ram while the pc was on did major electrical damage. Always turn off your PC before putting in Hard Drives, RAM, Processors, etc. The motherboard needs to be replaced, and I think the CPU does too.

*EDIT: You beat me to it SNGX :p"

I had a customer add memory when his computer was on. The board no longer worked.

What I don't understand though, is this: If someone knows very little about computers, wouldn't they be afraid to leave it on while working on it? The first thing I would think of is 'electrocution' if I didn't know any better. And if that person isn't clueless and really does know a thing or two about computers, would they understand it well enough to guess that it should be turned off? :\

Maybe its because all these people are growing up with PnP, USB and hot swap SATA ports? Hmmm...

And if that person isn't clueless and really does know a thing or two about computers, would they understand it well enough to guess that it should be turned off? :\
Evidently not. :)

Rick said:
What I don't understand though, is this: If someone knows very little about computers, wouldn't they be afraid to leave it on while working on it? The first thing I would think of is 'electrocution' if I didn't know any better. And if that person isn't clueless and really does know a thing or two about computers, would they understand it well enough to guess that it should be turned off?

Sociopathy and stupidity both contribute heavily to fearlessness. Those combined with nothing to lose because you're breaking somebody else's stuff.:evil:

captaincranky said:
Sociopathy and stupidity both contribute heavily to fearlessness. Those combined with nothing to lose because you're breaking somebody else's stuff.:evil:

I wonder if that same person would dare to open a PSU while the PC is running? :rolleyes:

Fear in Literature........

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
I wonder if that same person would dare to open a PSU while the PC is running? :rolleyes:

"Fear is the mind killer, I will let it pass through me"."Put your hand in the box, young Atreides". Frank Herbert, (from "Dune").

God, I hope someone is familiar with this material.

Beyond that, teenagers think they're immortal, it's why so many get killed drinking and driving. Getting blasted by AC line current is one of those things you have to experience so you won't do it again. It's a whole lot more lethal though in Europe as opposed to the US. My gut feeling is, "gosh I hope so", but I've been accused of having a bad attitude.

I just finished work on a pavilion that was in a sorry state.

When I opened it up, one of the sticks of RAM was half hanging out, needless to say memtesting that one gave me thousands of errors.

I replaced the RAM with 2 x 256 known good RAM and repeatedly got nothing. At this point I found the ATX connector wasn't seated properly and pushed it back in. Still nothing. Removing the RAM got me no beeps.

I bench tested it (I wondered if the missing screw not holding the PCI modem in was behind the motherboard) with a new power supply and still got nothing. I declared the motherboard dead but as a last resort stuck a 2.8GHZ P4 in it that I had lying around. It passed POST and ran memtest on the new memory for hours just fine. I put the old CPU back in, it passed POST started memtest and hung after 17 seconds. After that it wouldn't POST any more. Putting the 'new' P4 back in it worked fine and it still does.

In short, try a socket 478 P4/Celeron processor if you have one to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back