UK to ban Huawei equipment in 2021 and remove it from 5G networks by 2027

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In a nutshell: Huawei continues to feel the hurt as the UK vows to remove all of the Chinese manufacturer's components from its mobile infrastructure by 2027. It also plans to outlaw future purchases of the company's products beginning in January 2021.

Last week, the UK government was reportedly rethinking its decision to use Huawei equipment in its 5G cellular infrastructure. The reconsideration comes after pressure from the US, which has banned the Chinese manufacturer over potential security risks. The British parliament is also concerned over Huawei's dwindling supply chain, which is forcing it to use unvetted secondary components.

Today, the UK decided it would move forward with a plan that would eliminate Huawei gear from its 5G network by December 31, 2027. A Telecoms Security Bill is expected to pass through parliament and go into effect at the end of this year. The law would ban providers from purchasing Huawei-made 5G equipment.

"By the time of the next election, we will have implemented in law an irreversible path for the complete removal of Huawei equipment from our 5G networks," said British Digital Secretary Oliver Dowden.

The final push for the ban came from advice from the UK's National Cyber Security Center (NCSC), which said that the US sanctions imposed by the US in May would cripple Huawei's ability to procure trusted manufacturing components. The decision expands the country's stance earlier this year that banned "high risk" OEM components from core parts of its 5G infrastructure. It still allowed their use in scenarios that required less security precautions.

Huawei expressed disappointment in the decision in a statement saying that the UK has decided to "level down" it's 5G network.

"This disappointing decision is bad news for anyone in the UK with a mobile phone," the spokesperson said. "It threatens to move Britain into the digital slow lane, push up bills, and deepen the digital divide. Instead of 'levelling up' the government is levelling down, and we urge them to reconsider."

The company went on to say that this move is more about US trade policy than 5G security. It said it would review the UK's decision in detail and work with lawmakers "to explain how we can continue to contribute to a better connected Britain."

Image credit: 5G Huawei by Daniel Constante, Huawei Lock by Ink Drop

Permalink to story.

I don't understand what the fuss about. If UK doesn't like Huawei then they have the right to ban them. If China doesn't like it they should cut off relation with U.K. Simple.

But I think the other countries should be watching this for particular reason. We already have Samsung,Huawei here,more will come.
We should phase out & completely erase western/European equipment from sensitive parts such as telecom. This would be first step to complete decoupling. The PC sector will be next.

US and the UK is just being mad that western tech is falling behind compared to China’s 5G. This is nothing but a protectionist restrictive trade regulation to unfairly compete in free trade. By banning Huawei, the US and UK is effectively depriving millions of lower class, especially rural Americans and Brits from cheaply accessible 5G network. Another successful lobbying effort by Ma Bell.

They should have decide on whether the company IS a national security risk, or NOT. Period. Never thought the britons would decide by 'blaming" their ally the US. So spineless. Shameful.

US and the UK is just being mad that western tech is falling behind compared to China’s 5G. This is nothing but a protectionist restrictive trade regulation to unfairly compete in free trade. By banning Huawei, the US and UK is effectively depriving millions of lower class, especially rural Americans and Brits from cheaply accessible 5G network. Another successful lobbying effort by Ma Bell.

Well if China wasn't stealing everyone's technology to begin with they would never catch up with the West

Woo boy. Someone is salty for no reason.

Really... salty :joy: ?

We are sick of these *** wipes that get voted in through shitty electoral collage that old fossils put into place. If you are fine with that, you are the problem.

This is not just about Huewei, you should see the recent bills that have been debated at the House of Commons, it's ****ing laughable. Burn them, burn them all at the stake. Anyone over the age of 60 should not be in a position where they have the right to lead a country. Age is experience but age also creates bias due to nurture.

@Nobonita Barua
It's not about "oh well if the X country don't like it, they can do whatever" the country are the people, are we all going to receive compensation for this? Just to note, I have a Note 9, I could not give two shits, but you are missing the bloody principle and that my friend, is extremely worrying :(

Last edited:
@Nobonita Barua
It's not about "oh well if the X country don't like it, they can do whatever" the country are the people, are we all going to receive compensation for this? Just to note, I have a Note 9, I could not give two shits, but you are missing the bloody principle and that my friend, is extremely worrying :(
Its always about what x country wants & it can do whatever it wants.
They country are NOT the people, the people is part of the country.
The principle is what I want to be.
"World is gangster" -- someone said. Remember?

Well if China wasn't stealing everyone's technology to begin with they would never catch up with the West

The US stole tons of medical research and rocket propulsion technology from Nazi Germany. Tech is one of those resources everyone will steal anyone.

I think given China's human rights abuses with the way it treats Uighur people and now its annexing Hong Kong we should all ban Chinese products completely. It's extraordinary that we allow them to trade with the west at all. How long do you think the Chinese regime would last if we all banned Chinese goods?

I think given China's human rights abuses with the way it treats Uighur people and now its annexing Hong Kong we should all ban Chinese products completely. It's extraordinary that we allow them to trade with the west at all. How long do you think the Chinese regime would last if we all banned Chinese goods?

I think given US’s human rights abuses with the way it treats Black people and now its killing them we should all ban US products completely. It's extraordinary that we allow them to trade with the west at all. How long do you think the US regime would last if we all banned US goods?

fixed.

I think given US’s human rights abuses with the way it treats Black people and now its killing them we should all ban US products completely. It's extraordinary that we allow them to trade with the west at all. How long do you think the US regime would last if we all banned US goods?

fixed.
I agree that there are parts of the US and US institutions in which racism is endemic and this is a ****ed-up state of affairs, but to compare this to a regime that rounds up and kills protesting students and routinely performs genocide on an ethnic minority is disgusting.

I agree that there are parts of the US and US institutions in which racism is endemic and this is a ****ed-up state of affairs, but to compare this to a regime that rounds up and kills protesting students and routinely performs genocide on an ethnic minority is disgusting.
Yeah you right. The US only does that in the Middle East. Committing war crimes overseas is a lot better than committing war crimes at home.
Also, have you heard of Guantanamo Bay or the Senate’s intelligence on Torture?

Back