Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray discs with up to 100GB of data are already in production

Justin Kahn

Current gen Blu-ray discs do not support Ultra HD content, but it appears that this is about to change. New reports claim that leaked data from a disc manufacturing company points at upcoming 4K Blu-ray discs. Although there has been no official announcement from the Blu-ray Disc Association at this point, Singulus claims to be providing machine technology to support the new high storage capacity, three layer Blu-ray discs.

With up to 100GB of storage on the new discs, Singulus' BLULINE III is able to print a 4K movie onto to a single triple layer Blu-ray disc. 4K content will be available digitally through services like Netflix and Sony Video Unlimited, but considering the size of these files, discs will likely still be a viable format.

-gen blu-ray discs pack 100gb data

Hopefully these new high capacity Blu-rays, which are supposedly already being made, will mitigate what could have been a messy 4K format war for consumers. Even with the exorbitant prices 4K displays are currently fetching, it is still nice to see them getting this all straightened out now.

The question that still remains is whether or not current generation Blu-ray players will be able to play the new 4K discs. As some have suggested, it's certainly possible through some sort of firmware update, but with no official word, there is still a chance the format could require a new player altogether.

Permalink to story.

They should have gone directly to 4k and not 1080

Should've, huh?

What about all that money that was to be made there selling blu-ray drives at $150 - $200 when they first came out? That was for the ones with the simple features, too.

Instead of 4K they should have just jumped up to 16K Super Ulta High Definition.... oh wait, but then they couldnt make money from selling the 4K bluray players, because everyone would want 16K bluray players (if it even is a disc still at that point)

Gah, it's obvious I dont know exactly what I'm talking about... but my point is still in there somewhere.

Are there any real noticeable differences to the human eye between 4K and 1080?

I've so those 4K Sony Demo's and didn't really see any difference, or is it just me?

I've so those 4K Sony Demo's and didn't really see any difference, or is it just me?

Look closely. From a distance you cannot see a difference.

They should have gone directly to 4k and not 1080

Where is the down-vote button when you need one?... :(

Also, I don't see how 100GB can possibly accommodate a movie in 4K. The first one that came - TimeScapes was 160GB (well-compressed in x264), and that's just 50-minute long. That means a 2-hour movie would need 350GB on average, using x264 format. The new HVEC will only shave off 40% from it, in which case 210GB is your average 2-hour movie.

With a large enough display I bet there are. With most 50" and larger TV's I can see the individual pixels if sitting a meter away. At normal distances, like from your couch to the TV, in a 50" TV, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. Plenty of people cant discern a difference between 720p and 1080p.

As everyone been discuss about enhanced resolution which is correct about some people say not see the difference as distance but this will be difference when you get bigger TV such as bigger than 60" will see the different like go farther to 100" or beyond. 1080p look great on TV up to 60"

Where is the down-vote button when you need one?... :(

Also, I don't see how 100GB can possibly accommodate a movie in 4K. The first one that came - TimeScapes was 160GB (well-compressed in x264), and that's just 50-minute long. That means a 2-hour movie would need 350GB on average, using x264 format. The new HVEC will only shave off 40% from it, in which case 210GB is your average 2-hour movie.

Maybe that's just for a single layer? Blurays are 25gb per layer, apparently they have triple and quadruple layers... which means that the 4K discs would be pointless unless this is in fact 100GB per layer. It would help to read the article, it might explain more.

With up to 100GB of storage on the new discs, Singulus' BLULINE III is able to print a 4K movie onto to a single triple layer Blu-ray disc.

Suggesting a triple layer blu-ray disc would be around 300GBs?

Cool story, where's 8K? :( 4K looks fine on 60 inches, but those 80-100inch displays require 8K. Looks like we'll be stuck with an inferior tech for a while yet.

1920 x 1080 = '1080p'
1080 x 2 = 2160 <-- This is 4x 1080p.
1920 x 2 = 3480
3840 x 2160 = '4K' or 'UltraHD' or '2160p'

The '1080p' bit is the vertical pixel count. People are confused because suddenly '4K' refers to the horizontal pixels... and it's not even 4000!!

Is 100gb even enough ? I downloaded a short 4K video its about 5 minutes long and its 1gig
oh wait that means like 500 minutes worth of space...should be sufficient

I am so sick of the labeling of ULTRA HD 4k SUPER DE DUPER HD SUPREME COMBO PACK HDDD+ HD.
Can we just call entertainment of this generation and future generation HD (high definition) with 4k support or something. Its just annoying as hell, sorry about the rant gents and ladies but its getting old.

Back