Unable to browse the internet Windows 7

Hodsocks

I am finding this problem to be a bit of a puzzler, I have 3 pc's networked together and connected to the internet through a switch and then to a BTrouter, all connected via Ethernet cabling. None will connect to any page using IE10, one has google chrome that will open google, do a search if I type in a subject but if I try to open one of the found pages it won't open them, if I type in a website address same problem.
If I go into windows Live mail it will send and receive mails, suggesting to me that internet is connected. I have ran scans with Combofix and Malwarebytes which found next to nothing and booted into safe mode but still no success. I can access the software on the routers so that connection is fine.Have rebooted router and also changed the router for a different make and still no success, both routers seem to tell me that broadband is connected.

This was all working OK some days ago and then all stopped working.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Let's try this; using an Admin user login, get the command prompt and then enter:
  • ipconfig /flushdns
  • net stop "dns client"
Quit any existing browser, restart a browser and try Google again.
If you can run like this (btw: it will be slower to resolve the url), then we need to investigate youretc\hosts file. If you still can't surf the net correctly, we need to dig deeper.

Hey Hodsocks. Are you using a switch or a hub?. How many other devices do you have (besides the 3 pc's") that need an Ethernet connection?. I ask because if your router has the usual 4 LAN ports, and there are no other devices, no switch is needed. If you connect just one pc straight to the router for a bit, does it work normally?. Could you tell us the make and model number of your router and switch?

I have tried another netbook and my smartphone, both connect wirelessly but can't get on the internet.

Power off the router, wait 30 seconds and restart it.

You certainly have a rash of issues!

I wonder if you haven't caught some type of malware that isn't being detected, maybe some type of rootkit.If you don't have it, from a working connection, download and run TDSSKiller.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

As far as connecting but not being able to browse with your netbook or smartphone, the devices will connect to your network SSID, but nothing will happen if you also don't have an internet signal.

Finally resolved the problem, we rebooted the router yet again and this time everything is working fine, I have to admit I have no idea why as we had rebooted it several times before but such is the vagaries of computing.

Suggest you disable remote admin and change the admin password on that router :)

Back