Unable to play recovered .mov files

Hi,

I somehow corrupted the SD card from my camcorder that has my son and daughters b/day footage on :suicide:

I simply popped it in my card reader but when trying to open the drive it complained about boot sector issues and was effectively fried...don't know if the reader caused it or the usb port...

Anyway i've recovered the files using both Pc Inspector and Power Data recovery, the problem is they wont play in either VLC or Windows Media player.

VLC does nothing and WMP moans about codec etc..

I've even deleted a .mov file from another SD card that isn't corrupt and restored it to test and both players still fail in the same way (this is better as at least it means it's not the card at fault here)

Any ideas how i can get these .mov files playing again ?

Obviously as a family memory it would be a tragedy if they were lost :(

Thanks in advance.
Mike.

ps any other good forums i could post this on ?

Based on a quick google, MOV files are apple quicktime format.

Have you tried playing them with QuickTime? How to play MOV files

Also, most video cameras should allow you to play back the movies you capture on them using the camera. Albeit a tiny screen, at least if the cam can play it back, you know your computer also should.

Hope you recover your movies

Thanks Lookin

I'm afraid the camera wont play them as it also sees the acrd to have a problem hence why i had to recover the files using a utility.

I have other .mov files taken from the camcorder in the past stored on my pc that still work fine so i fairly happy VLC / WMP are both worknig fine still.

Anyone able to offer anything else here ?

Back