Underclocking @ 0.83 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I can, I have waterblocks for the cpu, vga, mosfets. There's nothing else to watercool. Not to mention mine actually does downclock to 1.3ghz with power saving feature on. Which would be still faster than yours clock for clock. I mean, good for you if you feel as though you accomplished something.

Hmmm. lol. I'm used to people trying to outdo each other with how fast they can overclock their CPUs. Now I see members try to out downclock each other. :) I guess less is more.

Yes I can, I have waterblocks for the cpu, vga, mosfets. There's nothing else to watercool. Not to mention mine actually does downclock to 1.3ghz with power saving feature on. Which would be still faster than yours clock for clock. I mean, good for you if you feel as though you accomplished something.

So can run mine way below 1.3ghz...(thats not the point) 1.57 ghz is good performance for everything except video rendering and crysis, and I have another computer for that. This computer is silent and it doesnt waste electricity. Your water pumps, your psu and all the fans in your case and radiator waste electricity and make noise.

You may be able to run your chip slower, but regardless of how much money you spent on your regular computer psu, it is not tuned for low load, so it would get poor efficiency at low load. In my opinion is doesn't make sense using more electricity to cool something, then the chip actually uses for 24/7 usage.

Obviously everyone has different priorities or we would all be the same.
Id rather keep $50 dollars a month/600 dollars a year, then spend it on electricity.

"Which would be still faster than yours clock for clock. I mean, good for you if you feel as though you accomplished something."

You either a really young kid or an adult with an incredibly large inferiority complex. (My rocket is bigger then yours mentality)

Id rather keep this thread constructive..

My point was that clearly I understand and value the idea of "silence." I as well as someone else was trying to figure out the point of your post. That is all. Usually posts here are helpful, or at least answer questions that have been asked.

Most psu's today are rated at 80% efficiency, just as mine is. And most psu's wont be rated by the latter if they arent running at near or at load. If you're concerned with saving money you should go read the article over at toms about psu's and efficiency rating. You're not putting much on your psu so I'm sure you have more energy lost than you may think.

My fans are quiet, I make sure to do plenty of research even when buying fans. The loudest thing in my pc are the raptor drives. Lets not make this a contest, aparently both of our rigs are made for silence

Want to keep the thread constructive, give us a good foundation to build upon. You gave us underclocked specs, and said nothing else. Just dont fail to inform the uninformed is all im saying.

Yes my rocket is bigger than yours, and most other people's here, if I wanted to make it an issue I would have made a big hooplah thread about the pc when i built it.

I'm here to answer questions with hardware that someone may have that I possess or help people with builds they may consider, that is all.

You either a really young kid or an adult with an incredibly large inferiority complex. (My rocket is bigger then yours mentality)

that's a rather crass accusation Sine. Im not in any way attempting to speak for Super, but my response echoed his. I really did not see what point you were making as there was not a request for help, or a questioned posed.
as for your now explained post, i had a little fun with it and UC'ed my cpu to 1.5Ghz at .922v and posted a 24.8 Super Pi 1m. my system is not silent though, and not much chance of that as i am running an triple crossfire system on air, but silent was not a priority with this system.....but it will play the hell out of Crysis.:)

My point was that clearly I understand and value the idea of "silence." I as well as someone else was trying to figure out the point of your post. That is all. Usually posts here are helpful, or at least answer questions that have been asked.

Most psu's today are rated at 80% efficiency, just as mine is. And most psu's wont be rated by the latter if they arent running at near or at load. If you're concerned with saving money you should go read the article over at toms about psu's and efficiency rating. You're not putting much on your psu so I'm sure you have more energy lost than you may think.

My fans are quiet, I make sure to do plenty of research even when buying fans. The loudest thing in my pc are the raptor drives. Lets not make this a contest, aparently both of our rigs are made for silence

Want to keep the thread constructive, give us a good foundation to build upon. You gave us underclocked specs, and said nothing else. Just dont fail to inform the uninformed is all im saying.

Yes my rocket is bigger than yours, and most other people's here, if I wanted to make it an issue I would have made a big hooplah thread about the pc when i built it.

I'm here to answer questions with hardware that someone may have that I possess or help people with builds they may consider, that is all.

"So what's the point here again? Im lost." - yea great foundation.

My system is running on barely 40 watts of energy and at 0.83volts thats not hard to believe. I have 1 stick of ram, 1 low energy hard drive and integrated graphics. I have a second computer which uses much more power, but this discussion is over low noise low power consumption... what people need to run an os decently..

The only fan in my low power system is one for the psu, which is near passive. Ive read many articles and I know what im talking about. I have two very good psus, im gonna buy a third because even a highly rated 380 watt or 550watt psu is gonna be horrible at extremely low load.

I have a 1000 watt phase change cooler and a quad core, im sure I could waste way more energy then even you core i7 at 4.2ghz, but I dont. No point.

6 120mm fans running 800-1200 rpm speed is not silent.

Tom has some very good reviews.. I also suggest looking at silentpcreview also..

He was obviously posting it as an interest. Not everything here needs to be a question.

Even though he may not have explained it in the initial post, Super just made himself look childish and arrogant.

"So what's the point here again? Im lost." - yea great foundation.

Are you implying that I didnt make a "great foundation." Maybe you didnt get the metaphor, every great building has a great foundation, you didnt provide us with that. Its not my job to make a "great foundation." its not my thread, it is yours. So lets keep this thread going in the right direction.

If you read my first post I was simply trying to find out why he was posting underclocked pc specs. For example, 2 days ago someone's quad 6600 was underclocked and trying to figure out why. Problem was solved through some simple changes in his os.

I intended for my last post to be the end of any issue here in this thread besides something related, simply explaining why the first two responses(mailpup, and my own) were asking the point of the post. I then went and did as he did comparing my own to his, mentioning efficiency, noise level and performance, wait...isn't that what he explained the thread was suppose to be about?

@ Ph30nIX

My response wasnt arrogant at all, I simple posted what he did talking about noise levels and efficiency. I suggest you not even speak of arrogance, or even anything childish being said, we tried taking this post in the direction it should have been going. If you've spent enough time here you'd know I'm neither of the two.

Undervolting a chip happens to give.. "efficiency, low noise level and performance" am glad we got that cleared up.

I never thought the running a computer efficiently or on low volts was so controversial or confusing. This has been an intense thread, im glad we could have had a good conversation.

Currently im working on a graph displaying the power savings of different hard drive configurations.. and how an ssd can pay for itself overtime.

If you're going to create a graph with hdd vs ssd efficiency/performance, make sure you include running vista at high performance mode and then at power saving mode. The two different modes create different transfer rates for the same ssd due to power requirements.

Power consumption costs are going to be calculated based on single ssd, vs raid and non raid standard desktop hard drives. Because every drive has different the power consumption figure, I will be using a figure that illustrates typical power consumption of a well made ssd. This will be 1.5 watts (some are more others are less I know). I will compare that to regular desktop drives which typically vary from 5-15 watts. I wont be calculating efficiency per unit read or write, but the focus will be more about cost savings and when an ssd will start to pay for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back