Understanding video card benchmark

Hi everybody! :) My first post here !

Is someone can explain how the website videocardbenchmark works? Sorry i can't paste the URL because i didn't write 5 posts yet

Perhaps this is obvious for you, but i don't understand why the top 2 card is cheaper then the # 5

for instance:

#2 High End Videocard: GeForce GTX 570 at 314.88$
#5 High End Videocard: GeForce GTX 590 at 699.99$
#6 High End Videocard: GeForce HD 6990 at 899.99$

I'm looking for a new videocard and i don't understand this sort of benchmark.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Hi Habstech and welcome to Techspot :) Video Card Benchmark is one of many benchmark products on the market that rate performance, in this case video card performance.

Here's a quick run down regarding the pricing of the cards in your list.

#2 High End Videocard: GeForce GTX 570 at 314.88$

This card is second only to GTX 580 in the Nvidia single gpu lineup.

#5 High End Videocard: GeForce GTX 590 at 699.99$

This is a dual gpu card that would be considered Nvidia's current flagship.

#6 High End Videocard: GeForce HD 6990 at 899.99$

This appears to be a mistake as the Radeon HD 6990 is the AMD dual gpu flagship card that goes head to head with the GTX 590.

I would encourage you to look at many other sources (Including Techspot) which are available that provide a wide range of benchmarks regarding the relative performance of these and the many other graphics card that are on the market.

There are very good offerings from both AMD and Nvidia, but would need to know more about your particular needs in order to make any meaningful recommendation. BTW, pricing on the 6990 doesn't look quite right and in truth you'd be had pressed to find either the GTX590 or Radeon 6990 in stock.

Hab,
The reason that looks to not make sense is that the chart you are looking at is price vs performance chart. It list the cards as relative performance per dollar spent. The GTX 590 and HD 6990 are the two highest performing cards on the market, but you spend more $$ per watt/bench increment etc. In other words a pair of GTX 580's will generally outperform a GTX 590 but cost $100 less = better price to performance ratio.
Hope that helps :)

Hi Mizzou!

Thank you very much! I will explore Techspot tonight! :)

Hey Red!

Exactly ok, thanks !

On this same website, to finish about this one, we have two charts: G3D Mark | Price Performance

So you say that the website takes in charge the watt/bench increment that you would have to pay? What does mean 3,877 of performance beside the videocard name? probably a kind of standard that includes some key points?

A pair of GTX 580's

What the.. ? Hehe I mean, for gaming? Only one would be enough, easily no?

Again, thank you guys!

What the.. ? Hehe I mean, for gaming? Only one would be enough, easily no?

Again, thank you guys!

Well...that depends on what games,level of detail and resolution you are playing at.

So you say that the website takes in charge the watt/bench increment that you would have to pay? What does mean 3,877 of performance beside the videocard name? probably a kind of standard that includes some key points?

yes, they have a formula (I have no idea what it is) that rates them on a number benches in general and renders a score...< pun intended.

Back