Uninstall problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my problem: I want to remove "Star Wars Galaxies" from my PC but it will not uninstall. I've tried the game's uninstall program and I've gone to "add/remove" but I'm coming up with the error message: " Installshield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close."
What do you think is the problem?

Two possibilities come to mind:

1. You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall:

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now do the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

or 2. The uninstaller is damaged and you will have to install again in order to uninstall properly.

Bobbye said:
Two possibilities come to mind:

1. You will need to make sure though that it does not start when you boot, or it will not allow the uninstall: What is "it"?

Start> Run> type in ''msconfig' without the quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> uncheck the process that is for this> Apply> OK.
What process am I looking for?

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

Now do the uninstall in the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs.

or 2. The uninstaller is damaged and you will have to install again in order to uninstall properly.

Thanks for the help, Bobbye, but there are few things that are checked and I want to make sure that I don't uncheck the wrong item.

The only processes that need to start at boot are the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop and network process if on network. There are some spyware/adware programs that run in Real Time, so will need to start up.

When you uncheck a process on the Startup menu, that does not remove the process- only stops the start at boot. So if you do uncheck something that should start, you can go back in and recheck it.

Here are some databases to help you identify the processes:

STARTUP APPLICATION DATABASE LIST
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back