Uninstalling generic volume

Hello Everyone,

My question strictly manifests from my OCD, but none the less:

I go to my device manager, click on storage volumes, and three generic volumes appear. I click on update for each one, it sends me to a hardware update wizard which asks me to install a floppy or CD and run the test.

I have no floppy or CD to put in, I run the test anyway, and I get "we could not install hardware because we could not find the software."

No problem. Everything works fine on my computer.

However, whenever I run a full scan through my security feature, ten of the twenty minutes it takes to scan are spent on scanning "storage volume" files.

Are these storage volume files related to the storage volume devices that I'm probably not using and, if so, if I uninstalled these devices would it get rid of said erroneous files, thus shortening my scan duration?

Thanks, Daniel.

Depends on what the storage volumes actually are. Could be these are virtual devices, or drives that are the result of a cord reader with no actual storage medium in it.
I would say you can simply try uninstalling the devices, especially if they are not devices you are using.
Chances are Windows will automatically reinstall them on the next reboot, but you can at least try the scan to see if it affects the scan speed (before you reboot).

Back