United States falls to 31st place in global broadband speed list

Shawn Knight

Staff member

broadband united states speed test

If you live in the United States and think you have access to a fast broadband connection, think again. That’s because 30 countries have faster Internet connections on average than the US according to the latest statistics from Speedtest.net.

The site, which ranks and compares connection speeds from across the globe, is a popular way for consumers to test their connection speed to the web. The service is powered by Ookla, a company that makes applications to test broadband speeds as well as networking diagnostic software for the web.

The latest statistics show that many countries that aren’t known for being technological powerhouses outpaced American connections, including Liechtenstein, Moldova and Uruguay.

Hong Kong topped all others with an average connection speed of 71.03 Mbps followed by Singapore at 52.85 Mbps. Romania, South Korea and Sweden rounded out the top five at 50.82 Mbps, 47.36 Mbps and 42.64 Mbps, respectively. In 31st place was the US with an average connection speed of just 20.77 Mbps.

Why is it then that the country that developed the Internet lags so far behind in overall speed? There are several reasons really, one of them being size. The country is rather big in terms of area of population which makes building efficient broadband networks challenging. What’s more, as CNN pointed out earlier this year, a lack of competition among service providers is also partially to blame.

Fiber connections, which offer a much faster link to the Internet than standard broadband cable lines, are slowly rolling out in the US but it’ll be quite some time before most neighborhoods are connected.

Permalink to story.

Wow, congrats to the top five.
my ISP (globe telecom, philippines) was rumored to to provide 10mbps minimum speed at no additional cost to the consumers. well, it did not happen but at least the minimum speed was upgraded to 1mbps.

Because download speed is a serious and pressing issue in world affairs...
Not even relevant to my comment. I was commenting about how someone with an option, could laugh at those who don't have the option. As if those who don't have the option but yet don't want to look "lol", could magically get what they wanted somehow. I don't see how you could bring "world affairs" to the table. But since you mention it! World affairs has nothing to do with upgrading or innovation, when the industry is comfortable with the majority already paying them.

Edit:
Just look at all the bright lights across the USA, they have very little reason to upgrade. When they know people will only pay so much for a connection. And those paying (that would pay) for a connection are likely already paying for a connection. Upgrading the system would simply be a free upgrade. The industry doesn't like giving free upgrades.

Im fairly happy with 10 mbps. (about 1 MB/s) its fast enough to do pretty much everything I need.
Its the UPLOAD speed that I want to be faster.

I don't think the USA will lead in anything again that is not defence/national security related.

The top 30 listed have a total land area of 4,192,356km squared, the united states has 9,826,675km squared with a very spread out population. The fast us and Russia and Canada are as high up as we are on the list (though the other two have much smaller and less spread out populations) its pretty amazing. I am happy with speed I get which is only have the USA's score. I have absolutely no need for anything faster and prob never will.

Good ol Canada, some of the highest prices around for some of the slowest speeds. (n)

Speed isn't the biggest issue - *access* is. When over 20% of the US population has no broadband options other than incredibly limited satellite or 3G then something is very wrong. Every tin shack in the developing world seems to have cheap, unlimited internet now.

Stupid list, because Hong Kong and Singapore are basically a city, which puts Romania in #1, which is quite surprising if you ask me.

"The top 30 listed have a total land area of 4,192,356km squared, the united states has 9,826,675km squared with a very spread out population"

That size of the country is just a lame excuse, since most of the USA is desserts and forests. Even in a highly populated country like the Netherlands, you're **** out of luck if you live like 3 km away from any town. When you research for example glass fiber, you'll discover that many countries are way ahead of the USA of introducing fiber in CITIES.

"I don't think the USA will lead in anything again that is not defence/national security related."

I had a dream the other night where the U.S. became a nation based on and controlled by security. Selling security to nations that actually have their own moneys and such.

I had a dream the other night where the U.S. became a nation based on and controlled by security. Selling security to nations that actually have their own moneys and such.
What kind of a day did you have, that would lead to dreaming (or nightmare) about national security?

What kind of a day did you have, that would lead to dreaming (or nightmare) about national security?

He probably made the mistake of cracking open a political magazine and following it up with a small dose of evening news. A potent cocktail, if ever there were one.

I wonder if the writer are always stoned. I couldn't imagine writing on that topic and not be.

It's the only way to channel that kind of creativity, really. There's a saying in the industry; something to the effect of "where there's weed, there's a story to read."

Back