Unnamed system file on desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem42

Hey, I found a strange file on my desktop. To start, it has no name or extension. Second, when I right-click, the only options are Cut, Create Shortcut, and Delete. Third, the Details in Windows Explorer say it's a system file. I'm sure that's not supposed to be on my desktop.
Should I just assume this is malware, and delete it?
Thanks,
Mike

NO !
If Windows Explorer says it is a system file, you might want to tell us the name... You should not remove it unless you know what it is, or if a very good antispyware or antivirus tells you it is dangerous.
Removing some system files can lead to a full reinstall, unless you know exactly what to do.

As mentioned, the file has no name or extension. I can't even access its properties or open it in Notepad. I've run a Norton AntiVirus scan, and nothing was found.
Also, the file can't be deleted anyway. It claims to be the icon for Palm Quick Install, and when deleted, the file remains on the desktop. Sorry for even trying to delete it, but it seems way too suspicious.

Have you tried uninstalling the Palm software?
Have you tried using RegClean and removing it from the registry?

Well, I think my dad still uses the software, so not sure I want to uninstall it. And is that a command that I can type in the command prompt?

Nevermind, my dad isn't using the software anymore, but I can't find the uninstall file, and it's not listed in the Add/Remove Programs list. I've checked the Palm file in Program Files, and there wasn't any Uninstall file.

've checked the Palm file in Program Files, and there wasn't any Uninstall file.
Is it still installed, are the files still there?
Also, the file can't be deleted anyway. It claims to be the icon for Palm Quick Install, and when deleted, the file remains on the desktop.
After deleting, does the progress bar come up and complete? And how is it unnamed, and what icon does it have?

What is the name of it, or description? Colors, etc?
What happens when your right click on it...
Once you find out the name, or the use from your father, go to
www.majorgeeks.com and then to Registry, and download RegCleaner by Juoni Vuorio.
This will allow you to remove it from the registry in such a way that you can restore it back to where it was if problems result....
Then right click on your desktop scren, select New Folder, then rename it Unknown or a name of your choosing, and drag that mysterious file into or onto the folder.
Then Use Windows Explorer to drag the folder from the desktop to your C: drive where it can stay and rest until you decide what to do with it.
If no troubles result, you can delete it in a few days... If troubles do result, use RegCleaner to restore it from where it is being save.
But my first choice would be to have your father do this, since it sounds as if he is involved.
The file is not doing anything, is it? Why not just leave it alone until you and your father or the owner can decide what to do.
Dragging it into a folder, then dragging the folder to the C:\ drive just saves it in an out-of-the-way spot where you do not have to think about it.

By the way, removing it from the registry with RegCleaner, will then make it removable... or you can go to Add and Remove to delete the Palm Install or delete it from the C:\ Drive by click and delete.

Okay, new info: I just got into the admin account, and apparently the file is only unnamed on the user account. I found Palm Quick Install on the Admin desktop. Also, Palm showed up in the Add/Remove Programs window this time. While it was in the removing process, a window popped up saying: Error 1327.Invalid Drive: C:\. Then, it told me COM5 wasn't available, then it said the removal failed because of a fatal error...
Okay, so I installed RegCleaner. I looked back to the user account desktop through Documents and Settings, and the file is apparently gone. I didn't even do anything with RegCleaner, just installed it. I'll have to log back into that account to make sure it's really gone.

The file is still on the user's desktop. In the Admin account, when I looked at the User desktop through Documents and Settings, only about half the files showed up. Strange...
How do I use RegCleaner, by the way?

I have to leave now, and I won't get back until around 10. By the way, my dad really doesn't know how to do any of this, so I'm kind of the only one to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back