Unsocial media: Bali resort forces guests to relax by banning electronic devices at pool

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Like going to the gym, eating a meal in a restaurant, and the kids’ first day back at school, people love to post photos of their vacations on social media. But one resort on the Indonesian island of Bali is encouraging guests to focus solely on relaxing by implementing a digital detox: the banning of all electronic devices at the poolside.

While vacations are supposed to give us a break from work, Facebook, emails, etc. many struggle to put down the phone or laptop while they’re away. According to a OnePoll survey, 20 percent of Americans said they checked their handsets once per hour during their most recent vacation.

As reported by Lonely Planet News, Bali’s Ayana Resort & Spa is forcing visitors to disconnect from the digital domain through its ‘In the moment’ campaign, which states that all electronic devices, including smartphones, cameras, and laptops, are banned from its ‘River Pool.’ The restriction is in place from nine in the morning until five in the evening.

“Our intention is to preserve who we are by valuing human connection and me-time,” a spokesperson for the resort told the publication. “The ethos of the River Pool is to create a place of tranquillity, where our guests can truly relax.”

In addition to all the new signs advising guests of the rules, the resort has introduced lockers so people can secure their devices. For those who crave more than just reading books, “old fashioned games” like chess, cards, sudoku, and Jenga are available on request. Maybe it should consider the new Game of Thrones Monopoly, too? There’s also opportunity to alleviate the boredom by getting drunk on the resort’s ‘In the Moment’ cocktail.

For a lot of people, sharing photos and updates on social media has become a major part of any vacation. On the flip side, bans like this could be the answer for anyone who wants to switch off but finds it hard to step away from the screen.

Permalink to story.

I like escaping technology and especially my phone while on vacation. I visit Cuba often for just that reason. I relax on the beach stress free without my phone. Cuba makes it easy since using data outside of the resort's wifi costs a fortune and is painfully slow. While I enjoy breaking from technology, I don't think people should be forced to... it should be at their own discretion in my opinion.

I like escaping technology and especially my phone while on vacation. I visit Cuba often for just that reason. I relax on the beach stress free without my phone. Cuba makes it easy since using data outside of the resort's wifi costs a fortune and is painfully slow. While I enjoy breaking from technology, I don't think people should be forced to... it should be at their own discretion in my opinion.
Wow, that's exactly what I do. And I'm a regular in Cuba, made local friends there with locals over years. It is also one of the safest places in the world for tourists. And the right place to unplug.

Last edited:
Excellent, may more of this occur
there was a concert near me by Jack White. I read that no phones, etc., were allowed. Fantastic idea as well

No ebooks?

Edit: Actually read the article. No ebooks... well considering as that is all I buy lately I should have to plan ahead.

Well if you're going into a resort in Bali, chances are you're paying for a good "do-not-disturb" time. so by all means, go for it.

Wow, that's exactly what I do. And I'm a regular in Cuba, made local friends there with locals over years. It is also one of the safest places in the world for tourists. And the right place to unplug.

'safest places in the world'
Not for diplomats.

No ebooks?

Edit: Actually read the article. No ebooks... well considering as that is all I buy lately I should have to plan ahead.
Actual books are better. The light emanating from electronic devices are destructive to the eyes, even with adjustments to blue light. There's a generation that are going to be old and blind in record numbers.

Call me a tech enthusiast or something but this is bad. I don’t buy an expensive mobile tech device so I can’t use it on holiday. Oh and I’m no stranger to having fun or going on holiday. I’m actually writing this comment on my iPhone in a hostel in Thailand...

Being told how to spend your vacation, doesn't sound like a vacation to me. Can you imagine being told to leave your phone at home when you go hunting, fishing, or simply a trip to the convenience store. There is a reason why people have phones to begin with. The idea is to learn balance with the device while we live our lives. Telling people to completely disconnect is not a productive solution. In fact it could cause a bad situation to become even worse, when they can't call for help or be contacted.

'safest places in the world'
Not for diplomats.
Safe for tourists cause tourism is such a huge part of their economy, so they actively protect tourists. Otherwise it's a pretty impoverished country that probably wouldn't be safe to walk around flashing your expensive phone and even regular clothing that they can't have there. I've been to Cuba close to 20 times. One trip they had guards armed with AK47s standing outside our resort, I have no idea what the potential threat was, but they take protecting tourists very seriously.

I think this is being "misread" as they are communicating it that way to make it sound more appealing.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to relax, when there are even a few *****s with smartphones around. They will talk aloud, as they have to make themselves appear important. If there's only a few of those (and there always is), then you will get this nerve wracking ringing/buzzing/shouting 24/7.

Imagine half the people on phones on a beach like that, and then nobody with them. I can see why they did that, and how it changes the dynamic.

Back