Updated Asus RTX 3060 Ti spotted with higher performance GDDR6X memory

Jimmy2x

Staff
TL;DR: Rumors began circulating last month about several GeForce RTX 3000 series card refreshes. Despite no official announcement from Nvidia, a revised RTX 3060 Ti sporting 8GB of GDDR6X was recently spotted on Asus' website. The new revision reportedly boosts the card's synthetic benchmark performance up to 10% higher than the previous GDDR6 model.

The refreshed SKUs can be found on the Asus website, carrying the same number of CUDA cores and boost clocks as the original TUF OC and non-OC variants. The difference lies in the performance of the new graphics double data rate 6X (GDDR6X) memory, which increases memory speeds from 14Gbps to 19Gbps and memory bandwidth from 448GB/s to 608GB/s.

Power connection requirements for the new cards also appear to have increased, changing from the original 1x8-pin connector to a 2x8-pin connector configuration.

GDDR6 was introduced with the release of Nvidia's RTX 2080 Ti, 2080, 2070, 2060, and 1660 Ti. The updated memory, GDDR6X, made its first appearance with the release of the RTX 3080 and 3090 models in September 2020.

GDDR6X offers an increase in per-pin bandwidth as well as upwards of a 15% reduction in overall power draw. However, the decrease in power draw is often overshadowed by the VRAM's need for power to support the increased speeds.

The added performance of GDDR6X represents a 36% increase in overall memory bandwidth for the new 3060 Ti SKUs. While no gaming or productivity benchmarks have leaked yet, an earlier report from Videocardz points to an increase of more than 1000 to 2000 points in the 3DMark Time Spy and Fire Strike benchmarks when compared to the original GDDR6 models.

Two more RTX 3000 cards, the RTX 3060 8GB (GA106 128bit 8GD6) and GDDR6X-equipped RTX 3070 Ti (GA102 256bit 8GD6X) were also mentioned in the refresh rumors. Even though there has been no formal announcement, the accuracy of the 3060 Ti leak leads some to believe that the 3060 and 3070 Ti refresh release may not be far behind. But as the RTX 4080 "unlaunch" showed us, leaks and announcements mean nothing until a product is actually available and in hand.

Permalink to story.

I wonder if they're going to concurrently keep the 30 series running along side the 40 series to keep the prices high on the 40 series. There won't be a "4060", you just buy 3080. With what they tried to pull with the 4080 12GB, I wouldn't say I'm far off the market. Also, yields are higher on the old node so it wouldn't really be a bad business decision. The 30 series cards are still very good performers.

Last edited:
They haven't sold the current stock and there's going to be a "refresh"? Ofc there's going to be no way of telling which is which at purchase, so it's a nice stunt to sell old stock.

3060ti it's 17% slower than 3070 this will close the gap to just 7% if the rumors are true.
This will see also a price bump for this SKU.

I wonder if they're going to concurrently keep the 30 series running along side the 40 series to keep the prices high on the 40 series. There won't be a "4060", you just buy 3080. With what they tried to pull with the 4080 12GB, I wouldn't say I'm far off the market. Also, yields are higher on the old node so it wouldn't really be a bad business decision. The 30 series cards are still very good performers.
I dunno how common/uncommon my view are but if AMD comes out with a ~200W card that smokes 3060 Ti (if the rumors about Navi 33 are right, it should be), I won't even hesitate to jump ship.

Either way, this will be an interesting generation for sure.

If some can clarify this for me.

I own a Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI which has 2x8 pin, whereas other vendors in the same model have 3x8 pin. --> does more power affect performance in any way?

If some can clarify this for me.

I own a Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI which has 2x8 pin, whereas other vendors in the same model have 3x8 pin. --> does more power affect performance in any way?
Two 8 pins, plus the PCIe slot, allows a maximum power consumption of 375W. The default value for the 3080 Ti is 350W, so the extra 25W only permits a relatively mild overclock. Three 8 pins takes the limit up to 525W, which obviously allows for a far more significant overclock.

Nvidia can have the new node for the highest GPUs and then reuse the old chips for middle to low class chips. It is known that (it is not a fixed number) for the highest/ last ~30% of the performance you need like 50% more heat dissipation and 100% more energy. So if they take a 3070 and cut the power down/ adapt RAM, it may end as a 4050ti or 4060 rebranded lol

I think the best is to wait next year

Are we gonna also see better 3070, 3080?
There gotta be millions of these cards that need to be sold before the end of the year.
Speaking of, last I checked, November is the month when we could see other 4000 rtx cards.
I am glad for people who can finally get affordable cards although 3000 dont sound like a good upgrade to me. They are 2 years old, if I choose to keep it for 3 more like I always do, it would be an ancient 5 yo card.
Seriously, with both Nvidia and AMD releasing the new much better cards, rtx 3000 should not be on anyones list above 300 dollars.

Back