Updating motherboard drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hi folks,

I've never done this before but think I have to now (some issues with maya, ruled out all graphic card issues and have been advised probs are related to motherboard drivers).

the board is a gigabyte GA-K8NF-RH and has it's original drivers.

From the gigabyte site, I have downloaded a file called motherboard_driver_for_ide nvidia_nf4.exe (after selecting my exact model) dated 2005.

Confusingly I have also checked nvidia's own site, and after selecting what I think is the correct chipset I've downloaded 6.86 nvidia driver for the chipset (which is newer).

I don't know the difference between motherboard and chipset drivers; should I install both these or only one? Also, should I uninstall the old ones first same as a graphic card driver - and if so how? I beleve I have to with nforce hardware.

Only ever dealt with gpu drivers before so hit a bit of a wall here.

Any advice appreciated!

cheers

gubar

Chipset is critical to normal operation. Do not use anything that has not been specifically recommended by Gigabyte. The chipset impacts on how the motherboard uses everything else you have installed.
In this order, I would check BIOS to assure you have the latest update. Chipset, Power management if there is one, Audio, Network/Ethernet drivers, then go down the list, installing everything else, one at a time.

Also note Gigabyte has "motherboard drivers" that also run audio (3), network (3), Video graphics (12), and motherboard chipsets in various versions for WXP 32, WXP 64, VISTA 32, VISTA 64, Server 2003, and Server 2008... among others... most of the drivers have an NVidia label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back