Sorry if this is in the wrong spot...here is the system I currently have:

Alienware
Intel QuadCore QX9770 CPU 3.20
Nvidia 790I Ultra SLI Motherboard
2 GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM
Nvidia GTX280 video card
Windows 7 Home
750W PSU

Besides buying a whole new computer...is there anything in particular I can upgrade that will give me a boost?

Can I upgrade this set up to the Intel Core i7?

I have always just bought a new computer but figured I might want to consider upgrading first before spending all that money.

Thanks in advance.

You could add some more ram (2GB) or add another video card/new video card. The socket type for i7 and i5/i3 processors would not be compatible with your motherboard.

Where are you seeing slow down? I assume it's in games but which games and what resolution do you play at?

I'm running 32bit. I actually have 4GB of RAM (knowing a portion isn't being recognized under the 32bit OS). I'm not really seeing any major slow down but looking towards the future of some games (such as Final Fantasy XIV) I see it calling for Core i7 etc...so I started wondering about upgrading parts of my system. I paid a premium for this system so it would stay functional longer and for the most part it is.

Can anyone suggest a good video card upgrade? I'm thinking of jumping ship and going from Nividia to the Radeon cards...say the 5850 or 5870. If I currently have the GTX280 will that give me a good pump in graphics power?

You could always switch just the mobo and cpu, and maybe get the cheaper P55 mobos, and still be able to re-use everything else. You'll still be able to get a core i7 on an 1156 socket, and still use the same RAM-Kit. Also, DO upgrade to Win 7-64 bit plz. World of difference in performance.
But if you're thinking of getting a core i7 920+ you will need an X58 mobo that supports the LGA1366 socket, and you may need to change the RAM.

The GPU is ok I think, personally, but if you feel like upgrading it, then your choice of a 5850 or 5870 is great, but consider getting a GTX 470/480 if you can afford it.

Also, what is your intended budget for an upgrade, and what resolution do you game at?

Well my budget for a Video card upgrade would be around $500. I currently game on a 22inch wide screen monitor at 1680X1050. I realize that these cards really cut loose when they run at higher resolutions but space constraints keep me from going to anything much bigger. I think at this point it wouldn't make much sense to change everything in my system just to upgrade to Core i7. I like the 470/480 cards but my impression of them is that they aren't much better than the 5870 but run much hotter, consume a lot more power and create a lot more noise.

A pair of GTX 460's beat up good on a GTX 480, and for $100 less. you could add a third on that board in the future as well. I believe your board only supports SLI, not crossfire (confirm that)
That would run anything at high res/high detail. I would also switch over to the 64 bit version of 7 as well so you can add RAM.
This of course is based on you getting a bigger monitor. A single GTX 460 at 1680 x 1050 will suffice if you are after DX11.

I wouldn't be considering a whole system upgrade with your setup unless you are looking at resale value of the main system components you have.
A QX9770+ 790i U would have cost you an arm and a leg not so long ago (having owned an EVGA 790i U I can say it's probably the most expensive board I've ever owned) and the combination will still provide a pretty potent performance level.
At 1680x1050, as red has mentioned, the GTX 460 1Gb makes a compelling argument for DX11 gaming, sound levels and thermals -this last parameter probably reasonably important since (if your using stock 790i U cooling) the chipset fan will be taking air directly off the back of the card. A HD 5850 won't give you much more performance at your resolution (nor 1920x1080 if you decide to change monitor in the 22-24" category)
A 64 bit Win 7 to make maximum use of your RAM (and maybe consider an SSD as your OS/program drive) and then you're probably good to go.
My $0.02. Good luck with the upgrade.

Thanks for all the advice...I think for now I'll look to purchase the GTX460 which should give me a little punch the games I'm playing. I might also look into a SSD in the near future. The system did cost me a lot and I plan to get at least another year out of it.

Back