Upgrade or Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, first post!

Im in need of some advice, I currently have a HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower which the stats are:

• Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 3.0 GHz, Standard L2 2MB, 800 MHz front side bus
  • 2gb Ram
  • 80gb HDD
  • Geforce 9500GT GFX card

I have upgraded the Ram and put in a new GFX card. The CPU is pretty rubbish for gaming at the moment.

I'm not sure if to just replace the CPU, Bigger Hard drive, new Heatsink/fans and maybe move to a new case OR to completely abandon the whole thing and build from scratch?

I'm on a pretty limited budget if i were to build from scratch.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Two important questions that we need you to answer:

1. What do you want this PC to do?

2. What is your budget?

I will mainly be using it for Gaming and the budget is about $1000 but that really isn't the problem, Just need to know if you think its worth spending money on a brand new or save a little bit of cash by just upgrading.

Honestly, the best thing for you to do, IMO, is to start from scratch. Putting more money into your old system will be a waste of $. Keep it as a second rig because they always come in handy.

If you don't want a second rig you would probably be able to save some cash by using your current keyboard, mouse, and monitor. You'll be able to do a lot with $1000 but if you could save anothe $500 so much the better.

There should be others that come along and give some wise council.

I must agree with Route44. Just go ahead and build one from scratch while keeping this as a second system.

The present one will suffice quite well for ordinary work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back