Upgraded windows, all programs, documents, and connections are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyHardWK

I upgraded windows from xp sp 2 to sp3 and after the upgrade my desktop was empty, documents and programs and apps are gone, network connections arent there, and i had to create a new user instead of using my old one where all my stuff is. I know i can access my documents from the old account through my hard drive but how do i make everything i had before on my desktop and my documents back to normal before i was forced to create this new account? All help is greatly appreciated!

Any major update works more reliably if the system is prepared first. Try doing a System Restore to date right before you installed SP3.

Then read this: I wrote it for SP2 but the same would apply:
1. A system should be clean! Run AV and spyware/adware program, maybe even an online scan for each also.
2. Read as much as you can about what to check after a significant D/L like this. It was clearly stated that it would cause some changes in settings-so that would be the best to check right away.
3. Create your own System Restore Point before ANY update from MS. It is not uncommon for an update to cause some system problem.
4. Know what the update will bring to your system and what that means. In the case of SP2, the Windows firewall would be on by default. IF you have another firewall, make the decision right away which you want to run. Likely best choice will be other than Windows firewall as it only looks at incoming traffic, not outgoing.
5. If you have one of the Security Suites that are so common now, know what it has and does in order to prevent a conflict. Rule of Thumb: only 1 firewall. Rule of Thumb: only 1 AV program. Rule of Thumb: at least two spyware/adware programs.
6. Disabling the Windows firewall requires: bringing up the Security Center and clicking to stop the firewall and making sure the 'Windows Firewall' Service is disabled and stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back