Upgrading a CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Asus P5WD2 Premium motherboard which is running an Intel Pentium D processor, it is a 3.0ghz dual-core. I would like to upgrade this because it is in my opinion slow and an upgrade of the processor would not cost me a great deal.

I would like to know how easy it is to upgrade a CPU on this motherboard (is it as easy as changing a RAM chip).

Also what processors should I consider when upgrading, I am currently running windows XP but I would probably upgrade to Windows 7. My gut instinct is telling me to go for a Quad-Core but I dont know whether the price I pay will be reflected in the performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Khuz360

It is not quite as easy as changing a RAM module but not horribly difficult. You will have to remove the heatsink/fan assembly, unlock the processor and remove it. Installation is the reverse. If you are going to reuse the old heatsink, you will have to clean off the old thermal compound and apply a sparing amount of new compound. If you buy a retail version of the processor, the new one usually comes with a new heatsink and fan plus thermal compound already applied. Some people find the heatsink tricky to install because of the way it connects to the motherboard.

Your motherboard doesn't support a quad core processor. Click here for the CPU support list for your motherboard.

Although processors that your board supports are all obsolete, you will probably be able to find some on Ebay. That said, I don't think it is worth it. Your motherboard doesn't support Windows 7. There are no chipset drivers or any other motherboard drivers for it. There are Vista drivers and those might work for Windows 7 but there is no guarantee how well they might work.

It's your decision and your money, of course, but I would consider building a whole new PC.

Thanks for the advice. It looks as though my motherboard doesnt actually support any of the processors I'd have considered upgrading to. Oh well new computer it is is then.

Thanks for the help Mailup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back