Upgrading from 533MHz FSB to a 800MHz FSB processor

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my processor. My currect processor has 533hhz FSB and the one I want has 800hz FSB. When I look in my system information it says that my CPU Clock is 3208 and my Original clock is 3200. Would telling you that help you determine an answer for my question? If not could someone tell me how much FSB my board can handle? Or where should I look?

Start with the board/laptop manufacturer, model and CPU support status- usually found on the manufacturers website.
533 and 800 FSN are usually numbers associated with (much) older Intel 478 (and slightly less older) 775 sockets and Pentium 4/Celeron CPU's.

Basically, more info required.

OK, this is just more of this thread of yours here; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic156802.html It's the same question differently.

If the is indeed your board, then you may be able to run an 800FSB CPU in it, provided it is one on Intel's list.

That being said, who knows what the Emachines BIOS specs are, if they're using the Intel BIOS great, if they're not, not so great.

Here again, SIW should tell you what , ( whose, and which version), BIOS is being used in the machine.

Next after that, I explained that an upgrade from your CPU to a P-4 won't do all that much. That said, you seem intent on doing exactly what you intend to do, any advice given not withstanding.

Intel Corp. is being used. Yeah, I am very intent on an upgrade. My friend has an intel pentium 4 and it runs games alot better than Intel Celeron D. Getting an upgrade for 50$ is an okay in my book. I appreciate all the help you gave me.

The video card is responsible for gaming ability more than the CPU. Find out what Video card your friend is using, as while it seems you are comparing apples to apples, you're actually comparing apples to oranges, if his video card is a better unit.

Here's something to think about, your Emachine probably has the stock integrated video, which won't game at all, (or very poorly). If this is the case, a better video card would make much more difference than the CPU upgrade.

My friends video card is worse. But in the game when there is alot of players around it requires more power from the processor as well as ram because it is loading data from each individual character. My video card is Ati Radeon HD 5670. I have a good video card in a crappy computer. The only reason I lag in a game a bit is because the processor depicts how smooth your game is with other players around.

Might wanna compare....

If the game you're talkin' about is WOW, I found that the lag is directly related to system RAM. Your friend may either have
a) more ram than you, or
b) faster ram

and if you both have, say, 4 GB of ram, but he has 64bit OS, then he wins. Cuz you with 32bit Windows cant use all 4GB.

Shouldn't make too much difference though. I found an upgrade from 2G to 3G of RAM to be a TREMENDOUS difference for WoW. No more Dalaran lag! lol.

Okay.. It's been some tiem ago since I posted this thread. I already got the new processor and put it in my computer. It works perfectly and it's helped my gaming by alot. WoW and other games run alot better than my old processor as well as my multitasking.

If the game you're talkin' about is WOW, I found that the lag is directly related to system RAM. Your friend may either have
a) more ram than you, or
b) faster ram

and if you both have, say, 4 GB of ram, but he has 64bit OS, then he wins. Cuz you with 32bit Windows cant use all 4GB.

Shouldn't make too much difference though. I found an upgrade from 2G to 3G of RAM to be a TREMENDOUS difference for WoW. No more Dalaran lag! lol.

I have more RAM than that friend.

Back