Upgrading eMachines T3512 CPU

Hi I have an Emachines T3512 series with an Intel Celeron D 3.20ghz processor and wanted to upgrade to an Intel Pentium 4 processor and I was wondering if it would be compatible with my system. Here are some specifications on the processor I wanted to buy.

Specifications
Mfr Part Number: RK80532PG080512
Intel P4 Processor
Speed: 3.0 GHz
FSB Speed: 800 MHz
Process: 0.13 micron
L2 Cache: 512 KB
478-pin package
OEM Package (Processor Only)

If for any chance I am wrong and it isn't an upgrade, please let me know.

It seems the Celeron D 3.20 Ghz processor was released in both LGA478 AND LGA775 packages. We need to find out which one you have.

Check this out at Intel; http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27128

There are no documents for this machine on file a Emachines. (They've changed hands a couple of times since the T3512 was produced).

Please download this version of "System Information for Windows" >>>> SIW Without Installer (English-Only), to your desktop. From this page; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html Perhaps SIW can ID the board, from which we'll be able to determine the socket you have. You don't have to install this program, just give it the big double click to run.

Just do the SIW thing. Plan "B" involves taking the CPU out.

For now, let me go on record as saying, "changing your CPU to the , (actually slightly slower) Pentium 4, won't do squat". Or at least not much you'd notice.

SIW thing..? Bit of a noob here. Lol

Oh you gave me a link...

Okay it says 755 LGA

Okay, I did some searching and found another pentium 4. How about this?

Specifications
Mfr Part Number: JM80547PG0801M
Intel P4 Processor 530J
Speed: 3.00 GHz
FSB Speed: 800 MHz
Process: 90 nm
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Socket: LGA775

Then that would be an obvious no go. I think most of the fastest Celerons were mostly LGA775. The very fastest, (and therefore latest) Celeron Ds were all LGA775.

Here's Intel's whole Celeron family page; http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=5263 The last of these were designated "Cedar Mill", and not "Prescott", note the lower power, (65 watts), and the fact they were 65nm process, instead of 90nm, for the Prescotts. (Your CPU would be a Prescott).

I found a pentium 4 with a 755LGA socket though, lol
That would be the "uh oh....."!

Celeron and P-4 are different in that some P-4s have "hyper threading". this is hardware and BIOS dependent.

With any manufacturer, particularly Emachines, formulates a packaged machine, they expect that it will go to the grave in the same configuration it was sold. So, BIOS updates and whatnot, are not offered as they would be by a motherboard maker.

During any CPU product line's lifetime, there are improvements made, but also later CPUs might require a different BIOS to operate. For example a C2D E7500 requires a BIOS update to run in a board that will handle a C2D E7300 with the shipping BIOS.

BIOS updates can ruin a computer if not done properly, and this is compounded by the fact that Emachines is not offering them.

So, do as you like, but it is nothing more than an experiment. It might work, it might not.

As I said earlier, I don't believe the the change from a Celeron to a P-4 is really going to rock your world, and IMO, I wouldn't bother with it.

BTW, the Pentium you found shows an FSB speed of 800MBs, your Celeron is 533. IDK if your board has a potential FSB speed to match the P-4. Some of the earlier boards would only go to 533Mhz. Also, some Pent 4s were also 533 FSB. IE the P-4 519 is 533FSB.

Well my cpu clock is 3208 idk if that means I can handle it. original clock is 3200... does telling you that give you an awnswer for if i could put the 800in my comp?

I wouldn't bother spending the money on such an ancient system. For the amount you invest in an upgrade you can get a low end new system that is four times as fast or more.

honestly. not really. i spent less money upgrading my emachines with a video card, powersupply and processor then it would to buy a low end 400$ system

I don't quite know how this thread was resurrected, but the wind up of it is this; Johnny is going to buy a CPU, then put it in his Emachines. He further goes on to state, "that his friend has a P-4, with a worse graphics card than his, but his friends machine lags less". The P-4 gets the credit for this (!) or perhaps (?)

This issue has been solved twice, BTW.......https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic156858.html

So, unless you feel like posting for the sheer thrill of it, why not wish him well with his project, and put this to bed.

Lol, no idea why people are replying now. Only reason I'm getting a cheap processor is cause I have a few bucks to throw around. So why not? I know it would be some 5 core processor, but it will be any upgrade to me is welcome. And it's low budget, so I'm satisfied.

Lol, no idea why people are replying now.
I think it was a slow night. Anyhoo, as I said before, good luck with your project, I hope it meets your expectations.

At one point I had a Celeron and a P-4 Emachine at the same time. The P-4 was indeed faster, in spite of a slower clock speed. This was with Nero "Recode". However, the Celeron was within 30 seconds of the P-4, but this was against 12 total minutes work, which comes to about 4% advantage.

That said, I don't use either PC for games, therefore I have no basis for an opinion about your needs.

One thing, the most recent games are a minimum of dual core capable. It was discussed here one night, how multi-threaded apps can bottleneck a single thread CPU. Anyway, something to think about for your next project.

Back