Upgrading my computer

I've had my eye on an GeForce GTX 660 2GB for quite some time.I have a standard Dell XPS 8500 right now and I'm planning on upgrading it sometime. Some concerns I have are if I will need modular power for this as well as if my computer will be able to handle this card? It currently has a 460W power supply, but some have told me I will need modular power in order to run this card. I am positive that it won't bottleneck considering I run an I7 processor right now. I could use another computer expert's opinion on if it would be able to work with this card! Thanks!

I'm not sure why you were told, you need a modular power supply. Modular is helpful in cable management for cosmetic purposes. Modular is nice but it is not a requirement. I currently have a MSI GTX 660 and my power supply is Corsair CX600V2 600W, which is not modular.

Looking at the specifications for Dell XPS 8500, I don't foresee an issue. The GTX 660 requires a 450W power supply, and your PSU supplies 460W.

By the way, were you the one I replied to on Newegg? :)

I'm not sure why you were told, you need a modular power supply. Modular is helpful in cable management for cosmetic purposes. Modular is nice but it is not a requirement. I currently have a MSI GTX 660 and my power supply is Corsair CX600V2 600W, which is not modular.

Looking at the specifications for Dell XPS 8500, I don't foresee an issue. The GTX 660 requires a 450W power supply, and your PSU supplies 460W.

Is this by any chance Doris?

I believe I was haha :) And I feel as though having only 10w of power left might create issues? Could it? and is this graphics card similar to the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699 ? I was originally thinking about buying this one but the one you linked appeared to be a different type. Very similar, but still different. Can this graphics card run on my system??

You could look at the amd HD 7870 as well (as an alternative). If you go with the gtx 660 you should probably upgrade your power supply to something like 600W at least.

Back