Upgrading my PC

I am wanting to upgrade many pc parts, but i do not know very much about computer and need help!

I am currently wanting to upgrade my psu its the default one that came with my computer which is 250 watts. I have no idea what kind i need. I want to upgrade it to 450-500 watts and am looking for one cheaper than 50$.

Upgrading processor- I do not know which type of processor is needed. What is the best processor my motherboard can handle? Motherboard specs says this (Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt) is that really the best this can handle?

Last resort upgrading motherboard- If that is what i need to do to get better computer overall i am willing to buy one for no more than 70 bucks. I don't want to getting a wrong motherboard that wont fit my pc or support my hardware.

Please any question regarding my pc i will answer!

System specs- Pc name- A6114x

Processor- Amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4000+ @ 2.1ghz
Motherboard-MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
Ram- 3gb ddr2
Videocard-MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2)
Cooling- Its the one that came with my pc
Soundcard- Realtek high def audio
-250gb hardrive
OS- Alienware Windows 7 64 bit

Is this your motherboard? I'm asking for clarification. :)

Motherboard Specifications, MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2

Your case appears to be Micro-ATX form factor. If you only have room for 3 or 4 cards in the case you have a Micro-ATX. You can purchase any ATX power supply to fit the case.There is a length issue involved with more powerful supplies but you should be fine with anything less than 800W.

If you already have an Athlon 64 X2, it really wouldn't be worth the money to upgrade CPU without changing motherboard. AM2 CPU's are hard to find and may be expensive if you do find them.

Another downside to changing motherboards is you may need to purchase another copy of Windows OS. If your copy is OEM then it would be bound to the motherboard you pull out.

Yes that is my motherboard. I found this motherboard online, but am not sure if this would fit in my computer case JetWay JTN68M AM3 NVIDIA nForce 7025-630a(MCP68S) ATX AMD Motherboard

even if it fits i already know i need ddr3 ram sticks. If this isnt the right motherboard for my computer can i have some suggestions?

I forgot to ask, but when upgrading my motherboard will my current psu support the motherboard it is the default psu that comes with the computer. Which is 250 watts.

Also when buying a micro atx motherboard i need to buy a micro atx power supply correct?

I forgot to ask, but when upgrading my motherboard will my current psu support the motherboard it is the default psu that comes with the computer. Which is 250 watts.
Yes, but I wouldn't recommend a 250W PSU. You may run fine for years on 250W but I would never trust anything less than 300W. It's always better to have excessive power than to under power your components. If you only need 250W's for your components then 250W's is all it will draw from the PSU regardless of PSU ratings. But if your power supply strains to supply the 250W, you could have power issues through out your PC causing problems and possible component burnouts. Your goal of 450W to 500W is a nice place to be.

Also when buying a micro atx motherboard i need to buy a micro atx power supply correct?
ATX and Micro-ATX uses the same power supplies. As far as power supplies, ATX case designs are not an issue.

So i can put a micro atx psu then :)

I might just buy a whole new case that supports micro atx mobo that has a good amount of fans. Thanks for the help

Just to clarify a bit, using a micro ATX power supply depends on the size of the case you have not the motherboard form factor. If a micro ATX motherboard is installed in an ATX case (and most ATX cases can fit both ATX and micro ATX motherboards), you will need an ATX power supply.

Even many micro ATX cases use ATX PSUs. I've built one myself. I used a micro ATX motherboard installed in a micro ATX case but used a standard ATX PSU. The type of PSU was determined by the ATX standard screw holes in the case. A micro ATX form factor power supply would not fit because the screw holes wouldn't match up.

So unless the case you use requires the use of a micro ATX PSU, don't get one.

Back