Upgrading video card to Radeon HD 6670?

Hello.

I recently purchased battlefield 3 for the computer but didn't check if my computer could run it (because I'm smart). Now I need to upgrade my video card but I'm not sure if the one I'm upgrading to is the correct one or if it will work on my computer:

The card that I want to buy is the XFX Radeon HD 6670
(sorry can't link, this is my first post)

My computer: Dell Inspiron 546
Motherboard - Dell 0F896N
Graphic Interface - (nothing- I installed CPU-Z and this area is just grayed out)
Memory - DDR2 4096MB
CPU - AMD athlon II X2 250
CPU speed - 3GHz
power supply / watt output - Could not find this on my computer.. it is an Inspiron 546 if that helps.. Core voltage fluctuates between 1.056V and ~1.4V but that is neither amperage nor wattage so I don't think that will help.. and next to Max TDP (in CPU-Z) it says 62W (not sure if that means watts..)

My current card is ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics. I'm looking to spend as little as possible (<$100). I live in the US. Will this card fit in my computer and is it a good gaming card (battlefield 3)? Also, is the fact that nothing shows up for graphics interface on CPU-Z a problem? The "slot type" is PCI-express 2.1, is this compatible with my computer?

Thanks, (first post, sorry if it was long or wrong)
Steven.

yeah its a 300W power supply.

Are there cheap cards out there that can run games on 300W or is that asking too much?
The ports on my computer are "PCI express x16" and "PCI express x1". Will these work for cards that are PCI express 2.0 or PCI express 2.1?

Hey scrispb,

As pointed out, if you want to get that card it's best advised to upgrade your power supply too as you will be stressing your system with BF3. Note that a 300W may work as I've read many posts of people being fine while gaming, but I personally don't recommend running off a generic 300W PSU.

Are there cheap cards out there that can run games on 300W or is that asking too much?

Yes, there are other lower end cards out there that can be used for gaming. However BF3 is one of the most demanding games currently on the market and a 6670 is already pushing it on top of the other hardware you have which isn't exactly the latest on the market. I'm not sure anything below a 6670 paired with what you have would bring an enjoyable experience at least imo, especially in multiplayer where the action gets very intense. The 6670 at a reasonable resolution with medium graphics would likely yield the best results on the cheap side.

However if you do end up changing your mind and are interested in upgrading your power supply something like this Antec or Corsair should work fine. But I would recommend that if you do plan on upgrading your power supply, go with a 6750 instead, which is equal priced but better performance.

Back