US PC shipments fall over 6% during holidays, Apple grew 18%

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

US PC makers have witnessed the worst holiday quarter in a decade, according to IDC. The researcher recorded a 5.31% decline in worldwide shipments from the end of 2010, while US-specific shipments fell 6.71% in the same period. Overall, the global industry grew 1.60% when comparing full year stats for 2010 and 2011, but the US market shrank 4.93% year-over-year. The decline comes amidst ongoing economic uncertainty, supply shortages in a flooded Thailand and the upsurge of tablets.

Although it's still the largest PC vendor in the US and worldwide, HP represents a bulk of the loss. The company shed 15.93% of its worldwide shipments and 25.30% in the US during the fourth quarter, leaving it with shares of approximately 19% and 26% in each respective market. Dell, the second largest US computer manufacturer with a share of ~22%, shipped 4.70% less units during holiday 2011 than a year ago, though it felt a 7.30% growth in the global market, moving nearly 12 million units.

Apple holds third place in IDC's US rankings, experiencing a growth of 18% in the fourth quarter, shipping just over 2 million units. Toshiba and Acer rounded out the top five US manufacturers, the latter of which fared especially poor with a 14.37% decline in US shipments. Lenovo scored second place in the global Q4 chart, moving 36.77% more units than the year-ago quarter. Asus witnessed similar success with shipments increasing 26.29% to 6.2 million, earning it fifth place in the global standings.

Accompanying the fourth quarter results, IDC has released full year stats, but they tell a similar story: HP and Acer slipped universally, Dell lost share in the US but expanded internationally, Apple exploded in the US while Lenovo and Asus had a strong showing in worldwide shipments. Researchers at Gartner have released a separate report marking a holiday decline of 1.4% globally and 5.9% in the US with the usual suspects in their expected positions, albeit with slightly different shipments and shares.

Image via Jut/ShutterStock

Permalink to story.

willard27 said:
Clearly written by a apple fanboy. % for headlines, what's the unit sales.

"Apple holds third place in IDC's US rankings, experiencing a growth of 18% in the fourth quarter, shipping just over 2 million units"

Many will await Win8 before upgrading. Many will await 'ultrabook' offerings. PCs are a saturated market, and 2011 simply lacked any significant advancement for those looking to upgrade. Cheers to 2012 to begin the offerings of affordable high-res ultrabooks, thunderbolt ports hopefully able to harness high-end external GPUs, and 802.11ac !

I don't know which i hate more or which looks more stupid... apple fanboys or apple haters, both look stupid as heck

I think Illuminati is correct, 2011 was an off year for PC tech. No new real compelling reason to buy a new PC last year. Overall PC sales will decline as most everyone has one, even a cheap low end system can do email, web, create a basic document and more content is just coming from the web. If you buy into the cloud, all you may need is a fairly basic system at home. Maybe when Windows 8 comes along people will upgrade. My home built system is still going strong (5 years old) after a few upgrades (OS, memory, video) it still meets all my needs.

I'm so confused why we're even talking about Apple haters/fanboys?

Any who the decline was to be expected I guess, Desktops haven't really changed much and prices haven't exactly got better since the floods on the hard drive factory's. Either way, i hope it picks up in 2012.

Because apple haters/fanboys will never pass up an opportunity to express their biased opinion. It's written in some creed somewhere... Oh well, over the years my brain has learned to filter out the bickering.

willard27 said:
Clearly written by a apple fanboy. % for headlines, what's the unit sales.
How would YOU write the headline?

"PC shipments fall, Apple's rise, but PCs are still way more awesome than Macs"???

Shame on TS for letting facts get in the way.

As HP and Dell have slipped in quality, this would play a lot in their market shares slipping too. Asus builds rock-solid components, for the most part, and Lenovo is doing well in quality too. I use mostly Asus motherboards when I build a PC because not only it the quality high, but also the support is good. This reputation translates over into the main PC market.
Apple's quality is very high too and also drives their good sales numbers.
Side note:
Fanboys: if Apple is so great why does the OS offer the option to install Windows on it (Boot Camp).
Apple Haters: Apple hardware quality is great, but you can also install Windows 7 on it if you don't like OSx.
BSD/Linus users: no hope for y'all *(just kidding)*

It would be interesting to note how many people built themselves a PC for Christmas.

Did Newegg starve this year? I doubt it.
I don't know which i hate more or which looks more stupid... apple fanboys or apple haters, both look stupid as heck
People either unwilling to take a side, or post with a haughty condescending attitude annoy the crap out of me.

BTW, buying one of each would be a bit ostentatious given the current economy, don't you think?

Go back to hating quietly, it would be more dignified.

There's no such thing as an Apple hater because its a cult. (as well as the new cool)

I agree that there hasn't been enough new technology introduced this year to boost PC sales. I also am glad to see Apple is doing well. They make quality products. Those who don't like the Mac OS you do have Boot Camp. Once you make a switch to a Apple product you will never buy a cheap generic PC from HP, Dell, Acer, or any one else. Only thing I can replace my Macbook Pro with would be a custom tower, but then I lose power and portability.

People more are leaning towards building their own custom PCs, I'm sure this statistics has more to do with laptops and not desktop computers. Although they seem to put PC and Laptop as "one" where IMO should be separate category.

slayer357 said:
I agree that there hasn't been enough new technology introduced this year to boost PC sales. I also am glad to see Apple is doing well. They make quality products. Those who don't like the Mac OS you do have Boot Camp. Once you make a switch to a Apple product you will never buy a cheap generic PC from HP, Dell, Acer, or any one else. Only thing I can replace my Macbook Pro with would be a custom tower, but then I lose power and portability.

Buying a MAC to use BootCamp /facepalm

Quality products, until it gets to your RAM, CPUs and GPU which are always lacking considering what price you play.

Back