US shoppers expected to return $100 billion worth of unwanted goods purchased this holiday...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: As a child, I can remember my parents actively avoiding big box retailers like Walmart for a few weeks after Christmas due to the ridiculously long lines populated with people returning gifts. Turns out, that same sort of behavior persists today albeit in the online retail space.

Optoro, a retail technology company, forecasts that US consumers will return roughly $100 billion worth of unwanted goods purchased between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And gifts purchased online will be nearly three times as likely to be returned, the Financial Times highlights.

The massive influx in returns will create a huge headache for retailers, too. Most will have to be handled individually, adding to labor costs, and some items like laptops will need to be inspected for damage and missing components. All of this destroys any potential profit margin.

In fact, Forrester estimates that 50 percent of all online returns have little to no salvage value at all. Andy Mantis, chief business officer at analytics company 1010 data, said, “Anything less than original condition and the retailer has to sell it at a discount.”

According to Optoro, around five billion pounds of returned goods in the US each year are a complete wash and end up in landfills. Yet even still, most retailers are willing to accept high return rates as the cost of doing business as quite frankly, not selling online would be suicide for many.

Masthead credit: Online shopping by Natee Meppian. Supply chain by William Potter.

Permalink to story.

That seems like an awfully high figure. Sales for the Thanksgiving weekend alone were approximately 731 billion, so you're talking 1/7th of everything sold will be returned.

I'm not buying it (pun intended)...

That seems like an awfully high figure. Sales for the Thanksgiving weekend alone were approximately 731 billion, so you're talking 1/7th of everything sold will be returned.

I'm not buying it (pun intended)...

Agreed. I was wondering if they meant million instead of billion. There are around 300 million people in the US? If billion that means every single person is going to return $333+ of stuff? A lot of people don't even have that much to spend for the holidays. Everyone is going to return all of it?

#1 LED Lantern (purchased by someone during secret santa)

#2 App controlled color change lights ( my own sibling)

The only things people don't return are money and gift cards.

That is a huge population that doesn't know what the hell they are buying. If I buy something I either know what I'm buying or willing to eat the expense of getting something I'm not sure about. There are occasions where the wrong item was sent. I can't believe the wrong item would add up to that value. So what we have here is a multitude of people that don't care who they screw over.

"...online returns have little to no salvage value at all."

There's your problem right there. Whatever happened to, "If you break it, you buy it?"

"Yet even still, most retailers are willing to accept high return rates as the cost of doing business as quite frankly, not selling online would be suicide for many."

Is it the returns or the damaged returns that are the problem?

Last edited:
God knows I did MY part ..... every coat I tried to get over Amazon was defective in one form or another and everyone of them went back with the suggestion that Amazon needs to step up their QC on clothing manufacturers that are "dumping" defective goods on their site .....

God knows I did MY part ..... every coat I tried to get over Amazon was defective in one form or another and everyone of them went back with the suggestion that Amazon needs to step up their QC on clothing manufacturers that are "dumping" defective goods on their site .....

This is why it's better to buy in person. You get to inspect quality yourself. Reading what others say helps, but it doesn't mean the product is consistent. Many times what some people say is "quality" I find is junk. Most people only care about one-time use throwaway items. I prefer quality that endures. Constantly shipping clothes back and forth just because they don't fit is terrible and a huge waste of resources.

Considering that the US public spent nearly 2 trillion this holiday season, 100 billion in returns is hardly a startling number and is a part of doing business.

Doesn't surprise me as I used to work in the reverse logistics world. The amount of stuff that gets return is crazy. It's a balance between accepting remorse returns which have 15 or 30 days as provided by state law and also alienating your customer base when changing return policies.

REI used to have liberal return policy that got abused too much, now it's much more limited.
Costco had liberal return policy until they changed it for electronics (90-day).

Agreed. I was wondering if they meant million instead of billion. There are around 300 million people in the US? If billion that means every single person is going to return $333+ of stuff? A lot of people don't even have that much to spend for the holidays. Everyone is going to return all of it?
LoL you really believe that the insanity is not really US only where people in the mid and higher segment are buying cars for their children and so on. I was looking a the over popular programs where spoiled usa kids get loads of insane priced presents and still whine that a few of the items on their wish list was missing.
25 gifts was not enough ...... and you say that people do not spend $333+ dollar per head .... dream on its just that part of the usa population having over a 250.000 a year income which spends loads of money on their spoiled brats and family. I bet that leaves out the other 75% of people living in the USA.

I was looking a the over popular programs where spoiled usa kids get loads of insane priced presents and still whine that a few of the items on their wish list was missing.
Reminds me of the article I read. This kid pushed his new BMW in a river because he wanted a Jaguar.

Xmas presents are stupid. This year we finally agreed to gift nothing but candies. At least that will definitely be consumed :)

Back