US to surpass China as world's largest gaming market for first time since 2015

midian182

Staff member
In brief: China has long been the largest gaming market by revenue, but this year will see the US retake the number one spot for the first time since 2015, according to a new report.

Analytics company Newzoo’s 2019 Global Games Market Report predicts that the American gaming market will jump 21 percent YoY to $36.9 billion in 2019, while China’s will fall by more than $1 billion to $36.5 billion.

Part of China’s decline was the result of a nine-month hold on approving new game licenses, put in place because of a government reshuffle and rising concerns over violence and the 'addictive effects' in games. It saw the country's gaming market slow for the first time in over a decade.

In addition to China’s freeze, an increase in new console users and huge growth in console spending helped boost the US market.

On a global scale, the games industry is expected to bring in $152.1 billion in revenue this year, a 9.6 percent YoY increase. Of that amount, 45 percent ($68.5 billion) will come from mobile platforms. Consoles account for the second-highest share ($47.9 billion), and PC is third with $35.7 billion.

While the US might now be the largest gaming market, the Asia-Pacific region remains the largest region, with $72.2 billion in generated revenue. All locations have seen yearly increases, and it’s noted that Latin America is now the fastest growing games market in the world, thanks to improved infrastructure and increased interest in games and eSports.

Newzoo writes that the global games market will reach $196.0 billion by 2022, with PC revenue shrinking as smartphone gaming continues to grow. It's predicted that the mobile platform will be generating $95.4 billion in three years, accounting for just under half the global games market. The new generation of consoles will also contribute to the overall growth.

Permalink to story.

Just imagine if we could harness all that energy and point it toward defeating the Russian and Chinese influences over the USA. We'd end their little rule of evil in about an hour ....

The mobile market is really going to start to affect pc and console gaming soon. If there is more money in it for the devs, they will put their best talent on mobile while pc/console will just get the plebs.

Last edited:
The mobile market is really going to start to affect pc and console gaming soon. If there is more money in it for the devs, they will put their best talent on mobile while pc/console will just get the plebs.

I could not disagree more. There may be big money in mobile gaming, but that is not where the real players are at. Gaming companies these days rely on favorable reviews and streamers to help promote their games. If you honestly think mobile gaming is going to draw in a popular streamer or even favorable reviews, you're crazy. A lot of mobile game reviews are faked and the vast majority of mobile games are terrible. I can't think of a single mobile game that has been even slightly interesting in the last 5 years at least. Almost every mobile game is littered with ads unless you pay whatever price they set. Then on top of that, they all have other microtransactions that are just as predatory as the MTX model in COD games.

I could not disagree more. There may be big money in mobile gaming, but that is not where the real players are at. Gaming companies these days rely on favorable reviews and streamers to help promote their games. If you honestly think mobile gaming is going to draw in a popular streamer or even favorable reviews, you're crazy. A lot of mobile game reviews are faked and the vast majority of mobile games are terrible. I can't think of a single mobile game that has been even slightly interesting in the last 5 years at least. Almost every mobile game is littered with ads unless you pay whatever price they set. Then on top of that, they all have other microtransactions that are just as predatory as the MTX model in COD games.
I get flak for it, but I have always said that someone who plays only mobile games is not a real gamer. I am at work...thinking about what I am going to play when I get home. The lady next to me playing candy crush is going to go home and watch some bull on TV. I am a gamer, she is not.

I agree, I have never played a single mobile game. id rather watch youtube videos on my phone than play games. you are a fool if you think game developers give a flying fig about us gamers over the almighty dollar and if they can make more money on mobile, that's where they will go. its just logical and its all thanks to china.

not calling the death of pc/console, just that it wont be the first priority anymore.

It happened because life gets worse in USA and more and more people look to escape their shitty lives in a better virtual reality.

Back