"USB device not recognized"

Ztraider

Hey all!

My brother got a laptop (Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi 2530) from his summer institute. We tried to plug a normal wired mouse into it, but we got an error "USB device not recognized", and in control panel it says Unknown device. We spent last 2 days googling around internet, we did ALMOST everything but nothing helped. From typical uninstalling USB root hubs to that "hold on power button for 30secs" thing. We tried 3 mouses, keyboards, web cams but nothing wants to be recognized, only digital camera and USB sticks work.
Now we are wondering if USB hub would help? or wireless mouse? or another model of mouse? we used genius mouses btw. Those 3 are only options we haven't tried, and I hope some expert will explain us what to do.
I hope I'll get help here, since this is really really frustrating problem.

1) This is a long shot but is easy and worth a try. Unplug the laptop from the wall. Remove its battery. Let it sit overnight. Then reassemble and try again in the morning

2) Yes, is worth trying a hub but recommend you try with a powered hub (one that has its own AC adapter)

G;luck

/* edit */
I assume you've had the laptop plugged in while you tried everything. This type of problem can sometimes be a power related problem

But why powered hub? I read that for mouses, keyboards unpowered hub is enough. How would powered hub help me, since it costs a bit more? I don't want to waste money if unpowered hub would also help, or if laptop won't read USB hub at all, it already didn't read webcams, keyboards, mouses...
We even tried while laptop was unplugged, doesn't work either.

Is this Laptop still under warrenty? If so why not call the vender. Explain whats going on . See if they are able to trouble shoot the problem for you.

Is this Laptop still under warrenty? If so why not call the vender. Explain whats going on . See if they are able to trouble shoot the problem for you.

No, its not under warrenty. It's a 2 year old laptop. Now I just wonder if and how would USB hubs help... powered and un powered?
Anyone here knows something about that?

As Lookin Around , said it worth a shot, He suggested a powered hub , Because sometimes these issue are power related.
You could try either, But I would go with unpowered. First. They are very cheap at amazon .com. All they basicly do is extend your usb ports. Just make sure you plug it into the port you know is working .

Well I'm worried if laptop will read hub at all... it didn't recognize devices, is it 100% sure laptop will read hub? kinda don't want to risk money, I'm not very well with money at the moment.

No I can not say it will work for sure, Have you check in its Bios to make sure all usbs ports are on?

Well there are 3 ports on laptop. Two don't work, if I plug mouse into them, the LED of mouse will shine but Windows won't recognize anything at all, like its not plugged but LED works. Only one USB port works fine, when I plug mouse into it the LED will blink for a second, then a message saying "USB device not recognized" pops out and LED stops working too. Is this a power related issue so I'll need a powered hub?

Well you say even with the usb port that dose work it will not recognized the mouse. There is a good chance it will not recognize the hub either., Have you tried a complete reinstall of your os. It could be windows has some issues going on. Just a thought!

That port already recognized USB sticks, digital camera and it even installed drivers for them. It didn't want to recognize web camera, keyboard and mouse, so port does work in some way.
The laptop came with Windows Vista Home Premium, we noticed the problem and freshly installed Windows 7 Ultimate.

It may work but their is a chance it won't to . These are things that you installed drivers with that work right.Like the usb stick has its own drives and the camera. Has it own. Their forth window dose not have to install drives. correct. This is why I said windows may have some issues going on. Windows seem not to want to do plug and play .Like mouse and keyboard.

Go to your control panel and click on .Once it open click on administrative tools.Icon Once that opens. Click on services. After that opens .Scroll down to Plug and Play. Make sure that services is started.

But how come both Windows can have the same issue? I even tried manually installing drivers but it doesn't work.

edit: It says that its enabled "Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no user input."

Like I said I can not say the hub will work. These are just a few suggestion . May be the usb port that works for you now will recognize the hub. It just hard to say. In otherwords I can not say for sure. It is like every thing else you have tried. You have to try it and see if it works.

I don't know where you live but is it possible to buy a self-powered hub and be able to return it if it doesn't help?

USB devices (that don't have their own AC adapters) draw their power from the USB bus. If you added a bus powered hub, the hub must draw its power from the USB port (and further reduce it for downstream USB devices) If you try a self powered hub (one with an AC adapter) and it doesn't need to rely on the USB port for power. But no way to predict if this might help. It's just one more thing/idea to try. (The port may not recognize the self powered hub either)

So can you buying something returnable to try? Did you also try the trick I outlined in my earlier post (unplugging and removing battery, etc)?

Not sure if we can really return it back. We buy what we need and we get it under warranty for 1 year, and I tried that method with battery last night and it didn't help.

Hmmm... Well, I wouldn't give trying a self-powered hub strong odds of helping (maybe 10% chance at best) :( I assumed you could return it if it didn't help so if you can't return may not be worth the try

Don't know if this will help but let me look at some data. List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next post by clicking the Upload a File button

Here is the first option from msinfo:
DX-220 HID\IRDEVICEV2&COL04\2&2818A073&0&0003 This device cannot start.
Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&2F4CFA0&1&1 43

And now dxidag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    27.8 KB · Views: 10
I don't have a fix for your problem :( but I can at least explain what's going on and prevent you from spending time on dead-end solutions. Specifically, you will never be able to find a driver for a USB Unknown device (so no need looking)!! Because Windows has no idea what the heck the "Unknown" device is in the first place. The underlying problem is that the USB port and the USB device can't "talk" to each other over the USB bus.

When a Plug and Play device connects to a PnP bus (e.g. the USB bus in this case) the device sends Windows a set of IDs that were programmed into its firmware by the vendor. Windows receives and uses these IDs to find a driver for the device. Also just fyi, Windows doesn't need the driver to receive device ID strings. Windows only needs the driver to actually use the device functionality.

There's a PnP protocol handshake/data sequence defined for the USB bus. When everything works as it should, the device sends it IDs and Windows receives them. In your case, this handshake/protocol is failing so Windows can't read any data from the device.

fyi... If you right click a USB Device in DevMgr->Properties->Driver tab XP show you an ID string (for Vista or Windows 7 you need to change the pulldown menu to Hardware IDs)

That string will look something like this USB\VID_0411&PID_00A2. The four characters after VID_ is the "vendor ID". The four characters after PID_ is the "product ID" (Those are hexadecimal numbers meaning each character may be one of the digits 0-9 or one of the letters A-F ; those are the 16 digits in hexadecimal numbering). So in my example above
> the vendor ID is 0411, and
> the product ID is 00A2

Windows uses that cryptic string it receives to identify a device and find its driver. BUT if you look at a USB Unknown Device you will see USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 (where VID and PID are both all zeroes) because Windows can't receive a valid ID string from the device.

This might be due to hardware, power issues on the bus or drivers for the chipset/motherboard and perhaps other things I may not be aware of. Windows must first receive a valid ID string - which never includes all zero for VID and PID

I don't know what's failed or how to fix your problem :(

Thanks for your great support and explanation of the problem. I'll continue to try and fix it and maybe something new will work!

Back