USB drives not being recognised

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

I have come across this before and have managed to fix it by forcing a reinstall of all the USB devices. This time this MSI board won't play and refuses to recognise any USB drive but is happy with everything else (printer, mouse. keyboard, etc)
Any ideas anyone?

Many different things can be the cause of the problem...
1) Is the USB drive recognized on other computers?
2) Does the drive have its own A/C adapter or is it relying on the USB port for power?
3) When you connect the device are you hearing the "ding-dong"? or not even hearing that?
4) See [post=727106]How to use the DriveCleanupTool[/post]. Unplug all your USB storage devices and run it. It will clear any problems if due to device conflicts

Hi - to answer
1 - yes, they all work fine on another PC - in fact on all other PCs
2 - USB port power - it is only a USB flash drive or USB memory stick thingy
3 - no ding dongs; just a message saying that this USB device has malfunctioned
4 - I'll give that a go - the machine is not here so it will be a day or so.
thanks!

Hi - to answer
1 - yes, they all work fine on another PC - in fact on all other PCs
2 - USB port power - it is only a USB flash drive or USB memory stick thingy
3 - no ding dongs; just a message saying that this USB device has malfunctioned
4 - I'll give that a go - the machine is not here so it will be a day or so.
thanks!

OK. Do try drivecleanup tool and here's some more info that might be useful (based on the above answers)

1. Are you having problems with just the memory stick thingy or with a variety of USB storage devices? (if just the one thingy, it might, itself, be bad)
2. USB 2.0 spec defines two types of USB devices
> Low powered (need up to 100mA)
> Hi powered (need up to 500mA)
External HDDs, cameras and some flash drives (e.g. the SanDisk U3 Cruzer flash) are hi powered devices

Problem you describe may also occur when the device requires more power then the USB port can provide. So also check for m/b jumper options that affect the USB ports.

In addition, it may just be the device exceeds spec and sometimes (especially) laptops, the m/b just isn't delivering the 500mA spec. I found the following solution to help: buy an external USB hub with ports that exceed the 500mA spec. I bought a Targus ACH81 hub which provides a total 7-ports, 2 of them supply 1000mA. And i have a WD Passport that is flaky on some different computers / ports but it never fails when i connect it to a Targus 1000mA port.

Also, one other general thing to try is reinstalling both USB controllers and motherboard drivers on the problem computer. See [post=751005]How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers[/post]

It might be power related as you suggest - the USB flash drives all work on other machines and other USB devices plugged into this machine also work OK. It is only USB flash drives that refuse to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back